Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 2006 svs for sale around me. Both red.

One is up for sale at 4200 with 8XXX miles.

The other is for 4500 with 4XXX miles along with an alarm and gear(which is worth nothing to me).

I know you guys don't view 8,000 miles as much for this bike, so should mileage mean nothing to me? Should I just pick the cleanest bike?

Sorry for making a few threads in the last week, I'm just ready to actually be a member of this community and looking for advice. haha

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Maintenance would be the deciding factor for me. Ask for receipts and the like. 8,000 miles is not a lot, but if the bike was given proper care... There again 4,000 could be a lot if the same is true.

Also, you could always try selling the gear.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about selling the gear. But how many people really want used helmets? I don't think i could make up the $300 deficit by doing that. The only thing making that one looking better is the alarm for insurance purposes. I guess I'm going to have to judge this by their overall appearance and how the owner treated it.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
I thought about selling the gear. But how many people really want used helmets? I don't think i could make up the $300 deficit by doing that. The only thing making that one looking better is the alarm for insurance purposes. I guess I'm going to have to judge this by their overall appearance and how the owner treated it.
Alarms are an irritating pain in the ass and not all insurance companies will give you a reduced rate for having one, since they don't actually do a **** thing to deter theft.

Get the bike that's in better shape, and with the most complete service records. The diff between 4k-8k miles is nothing.

And good luck on getting an SV - it's a great bike, you're gonna love it!!! :)

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Cleanest bike. That's it.
Yep, the cleaner the bike, the easier it is to see imperfections, plus, it may give you a little insight as to how well the owner treated and maintained it.

Also, check out the tires. If one has stock d220s and the other has newer, nicer rubber, that should factor in there as a set of tires will run you close to 300, not including mounting and balancing. Look for scratches, scuffs, or any other visual imperfection.

If one bike is on the original owner and the other has changed hands a few times, that's something to consider. However unlikely it might be with such low mileage bikes. I got my 06 last year for 4,400 with 6200 miles on it, and I'm the third owner, so it's not impossible. The original owner can tell you all about the bike, the second, or third owner can only tell you about how they treated it, and maybe tell you what the guy they bought it from told them.

Are they both all stock? If they are, and everything else matches up equal, I say go cheaper and use that 300 bucks on tires, mods and gear. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update:

2006 red svs, 4000 dollars, 8,000 miles

pros- very clean(excusing what is said below), double bubble piug installed. cargo rack thrown in with it. good tread left(aftermarket tires, i want to say bridgestone but not sure). 500 bucks cheaper than competition that is further way w/ slight damage. no structural damage whatsoever

cons- right blinker cracked at black plastic. I will get flushmounts anyway) right peg scraped up but no fairing damage/lever marks. oil eyesight was clear. I wonder how long the bike went w/ low oil

jump on it? yay or nay

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Dude, I'd bite. that sounds like a good price to me. 8000 miles isn't even broken in yet either :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes it was on the side stand. completely forgot that (use to centerstands).

I have to get some rearstands. his chain was maintained at a sub-par level, so I"m assuming it needs adjusting as well.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Go for it! CHeck out Harbor Freight for spools and a rear stand. I was in there a couple days ago and their stand is pretty cool. It may not hold up a Busa with 2 sumo wrestlers on it but it will hold up your SV and look cool doing it.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
$4,000 for an '06 with barely any miles....that's a great deal!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
big bump, but i'm freaking out. i'm making my move this saturday. I will own a sv650s! I keep going back and forth. 8,000 miles with scratched mirror/pegs and cracked blinker but aftermarket tires for 4000 or 4,000 miles in mint condition w/ scorpio and some apparel but stock tires for 4500 ( can probably get for 4400).

I was set on the 4500 dollar bike but now i'm second guessing again. Then when I think that I can get the 4000 dollar bike and fix all the stuff for less than 100 bucks I think that 8,000 miles is too high.

Help me!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'd probably go with the $4500 bike and just try to talk him down as much as possible. With cash in hand he may go down to $4300 or so.

It has the exhaust and its clean so you won't have to worry about fixing things right out of the gate.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
If you're like me, you'll hesitate and someone else will buy one of the bikes out from underneath you.

You are suffering from analysis paralysis. Make a decision and pull the trigger.

Now.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you're like me, you'll hesitate and someone else will buy one of the bikes out from underneath you.

You are suffering from analysis paralysis. Make a decision and pull the trigger.

Now.
Thanks Ralphie. Hopefully I don't shoot my eye out pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd probably go with the $4500 bike and just try to talk him down as much as possible. With cash in hand he may go down to $4300 or so.

It has the exhaust and its clean so you won't have to worry about fixing things right out of the gate.
scorpio alarm, not scorpion. sorry for not being clear

·
Registered
533 Posts
Try and get their prices down, go look at the lower priced bike and say the other guy offered you 4400 for way less miles and his hasn't been dropped and has all the added features such as "amazing" looking gear and an alarm. You could probably get the price down quite a bit, make them compete. Take you're time, if someone else buys it then so be it. Just find the bike that's right for you at the right price.

I ended up getting my 08 sv650s for $4800 and it only had 411 miles on it, the dealer even through in a brand new helmet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts