Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in cycle gear today, and a guy with an K7SV is talking to the sales rep at the counter wanting to order some plugs. The guy at the counter says, "You need 4?!" Guy says yeah, I do. I'm a little puzzled, just as puzzled as the clerk. Clerk says, "it is a V-twin right?" so the guy turns to me and says, "That's your SV right, how many plugs?" I tell him i'm almost 90% positive it's only 2 plugs. I have a K7.

It bothers me to the point I go back to school and research it on here.

Couldn't find any threads that answered the question specifically, but this is what I found:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?p=475397
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=65566
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?p=1413935

So I'm curious, after checking the parts fiche on ronayers, the K7+ SV's have 4 spark plugs and all <K7 below have only 2? What is the reasoning for this?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Per the Suzuki website:

"Twin spark plug cylinder heads for optimum combustion and reduced emissions."

You're always going to have unburned fuel and this is one way to reduce that. I'm just wondering if you swap the stock exhaust, the popping you get from the PAIR system is any less if you're running 4 plugs as opposed to 2.

Also dont Beemers run four plugs?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went to the dealer several months ago to get some NGK plugs for the newer bike and when I asked for four he wouldn't do it. After a heated arguement with the shop manager and the sales guys they looked it up on the computer and said the '07 model only has 2 plugs. I then proceded with them out to my bike and show them my four plugs and the stamps that state's "Manufactured in 01/07".

Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
someone post a pic of this said 2 spark plug cyclinder head, please?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Per the Suzuki website:

You're always going to have unburned fuel and this is one way to reduce that.
optimum combustion is marketing bs. reduced emissions is reason.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eddiemon, your pics no worky.

I'll try to get my tank lifted tonight and get some pics up.

Scottyb, you have an 04, so no need worry. ;)

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
when I asked for four he wouldn't do it.
if i worked there i'd sell you as many plugs as you wanted, even if you didn't have a bike. what a retarded salesman.

plus if they looked it up and still thought it was only two, i'd be careful about taking their word for anything else.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Eddiemon, your pics no worky.

I'll try to get my tank lifted tonight and get some pics up.

Scottyb, you have an 04, so no need worry. ;)
oh I know, I just wanted to see how they put 2 in and what the plug boots look like.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I must be blind cause I lifted the tank and only saw one boot on the rear valve cover.

[email protected], I just looked at the fiche. Sure enough right on the side of the heads lie the second ones. Now I gotta put 2 more in.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This really bugs me. Had the 7500 service done the other day and they only put down 2 plugs. I told the service manager I was posotive there were 4. He went back to ask their tech who supposivly worked for aprilia racing, came back saying no, just two. Being a mechanic myself this kind of stuff really gets me worked up. These guys are getting payed to do a half-ass job. Guess Ill take the bike back by there sometime this week.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This really bugs me. Had the 7500 service done the other day and they only put down 2 plugs. I told the service manager I was posotive there were 4. He went back to ask their tech who supposivly worked for aprilia racing, came back saying no, just two. Being a mechanic myself this kind of stuff really gets me worked up. These guys are getting payed to do a half-ass job. Guess Ill take the bike back by there sometime this week.
7500 for plug service/replacement? that doesn't sound right.

either way, show them a parts fiche and they'll think twice.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Per the Suzuki website:

You're always going to have unburned fuel and this is one way to reduce that. I'm just wondering if you swap the stock exhaust, the popping you get from the PAIR system is any less if you're running 4 plugs as opposed to 2.

Also dont Beemers run four plugs?
I still get popping but haven't had my power commander tuned yet

1 - 20 of 61 Posts