Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dropped two teeth on the countershaft sprocket. We are having warm weather for the next few days, I'll post a review.

This started because I had a left over countershaft sprocket from another project, and that at a comfortable cruising RPM at 55 mph I was in fourth gear. I thought it was a shame to not use my last two gears more often, so with little to lose I swapped sprockets tonight.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, my normal door for taking the bike out of my storage room was torqued and would not open because of the frozen ground. So I took the bike through the house and out the bedroom onto the deck and through the yard. My wife took pics, I'll have them up on my website in a few days.

Rode to work this morning, and yeah, the gearing is alot shorter.

Lifts the front much easier, and has more reasonable speed at 4.5k rpm in top gear.

Now I need a speedo healer to correct my gauges.

It is snowy and icy and gravely in spots, so it will be a litttle while before I really get into it. But I'm pleased.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Keep a very close eye on the rub block that protects the swingarm from the chain. The smaller C/S sprocket is going to cause the chain to wear through that a lot faster.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm... good call, I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
You also realize that you'll go through chains faster?
Making the sharper radius turn, under load, dropping 2 at the CS is a lot harder on the chain than only dropping one at the CS and adding 2-3 teeth on the rear.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I work at a bike shop, so chain price isn't a big deal (i get a pretty nice discount), but i will keep a close eye on the wear. If i can manage to remember i'll jot my odometer reading and try to keep track of how fast what wears out.

The smaller sprocket put my chain adjusters almost to the max, I may cut a link out and re rivit it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.