Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently use an iPod with earbuds, say I want to connect a radar detector to the same earbuds, how can I do this relatively cheap?

I've read y-jacks aren't ideal because they don't isolate each input, and either one can be damaged.

I haven't seen any solutions under $50, heck not even under $100. Intercomm systems and expensive mixers ($150) are all I've seen.

Also, don't need an amp, don't keep the music that loud, and the iPod has plenty of juice for that.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Build a switch box. Flip left for one, right for another. You would only be listening to one thing at a time though.

Or put one earbud in one ear from the ipod, Other for radar detector.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
That's a splitter, for one iPod/source to multiple headphones/speakers.

In theory you could make a cord that had a male terminal instead of a female, and try, But I can only imagine it would be terrible sound quality.

I was thinking use something like this and just choose which source to listen to.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12688418#

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some research on the Belkin device, it works, but same thing, its basically just a splitter. It does allow 2 devices to be connected, and then headphones, but the only protection to the device is if the device has its own internal circuit.

Problem with a switch is I'm hooking up an ipod and radar detector. Can't really choose 1 or the other, need both at the same time.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trust me, I don't. But the more I ride, the more I find cops sort of discriminatory towards bikers.

I've been riding for years now without a radar detector, and have been meaning to get one for the bike for about a year now, but everytime I start looking for what I'll need, the need for an expensive mixer doesn't help.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plus its not a fuzzbuster, but a fuzz-detector.

Cops are getting smarter as smaller towns/cities (with the fun roads) need to generate revenue, what better time to do this than some guy riding by on a bright yellow bike.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
a radar detector isnt going to help them with being more or less discriminatory towards motorcycles.

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
You can try a quick and dirty passive approach by installing a 470 ohm resistor in line with the radar detector output. This will provide enough isolation (current limit) to protect the devices but it it possible the resulting radar detector volume could be too low. Since you are just looking for a warning sound on that input, it might be sufficient.

If the volume is too low, you might go a bit lower on the resistor, maybe 270 ohms, but smaller resistor increases the risk to the devices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts