Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, hope you all well and enjoying the summer. I just want to say thanks for your help and this forum!!
Well I am finally back to work and feeling better so going to be riding alot hopefully. I wanted to change the plugs. I never have and is a 2005 SV650S with over 22k on it. The rear was so easy. I put in CR8E and gapped ofc.
Got to the front and that one is tight and slow going but the weird part the plugs that were in it, do not match. Had it a couple years and just never did it. The front one is so short? I did not even try to start it. and have on idea how to manual crank it. Not like a dirt bike with a kickstart. LOL.
You think someone did mod internally and now have clearance issue??

Audio equipment Gas Technology Font Fashion accessory
Light Product Audio equipment Auto part Gas

·
Registered
482 Posts
You wouldn’t mod one cylinder and not the other. It wouldn’t be balanced. Plus, that’s a huge difference in height. You’d definitely see it on the outside. If you want to check, gently put a long screwdriver or something into the rear spark plug hole. Bring the cylinder to Top Dead Center (TDC). Make a mark at where that is on what you’re using. Then do the same thing with the front. The two marks should be the same.

Chances are, when new plugs were needed, that was all they had available, and just went with it. The spark would still ignite the mixture. It just wouldn’t be ‘optimal’.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Also, there is probably carbon buildup on the lower threads of the front head where the plug threads didn't reach. I would go slowly when installing a longer reach plug in the front, with lots of oil on the threads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for responses. It went in super smooth. And have no idea how to find TDC. I would imagine crank by hand but do not know how to do that. i was thinking bout screwdriver thing. But at a loss on steps before that. I probably making it bigger than what it is but I am just cautious on stuff that can go sideways and permanent damage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok if you read my last post you had to be ROFL.
Nope that did not work for me. Haha on me. So I kept bumping it on starter and found it and it was fine. I put it in and is all done. No issues. Getting the seats covered and a gel pad for butt. Ride it next week and post some pics. Thanks for fast feedback, George and Troy, I appreciate it.
Are the IX ones better??

·
Registered
482 Posts
See if you notice any difference in power to the way it was before. IX is iridium, I believe? Much longer lasting, and some say they find things a bit mellower between copper, platinum and iridium… but have never tried it, myself. Spark should be spark. Glad you figured it out! …Finally. 😄😉

·
Registered
416 Posts
Cranking engine. One way is to stick it in 6th and bump the rear tire.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I tried some Iridiums in my 99 and it seemed to lack bite. Went back to standard NGK CR8E . Spark plugs are not just a spark but are also designed for the best Dwell-Angle when igniting. I also still have the Factory fitted ," Denso " plugs that I took out @ 26k miles and are still serviceable. I keep them in a pouch as spares under my rear seat.

Tip: If you have the Factory Tool-kit hinged plug spanner/wrench you can use it's back-end box 10mm spanner to remove the 3 Rad bolts and push the rad forward to get to the front plug if you take off the Horn bracket without having to drain the coolant. I keep a small piece of cardboard with some double sided tape under my seat to protect my knuckles and rad when messing with the front plug.

I left my Horn bracket off and moved my custom horn,

More info here on checking Spark plug caps,

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
155 Posts
I tried some Iridiums in my 99 and it seemed to lack bite. Went back to standard NGK CR8E . Spark plugs are not just a spark but are also designed for the best Dwell-Angle when igniting. I also still have the Factory fitted ," Denso " plugs that I took out @ 26k miles and are still serviceable. I keep them in a pouch as spares under my rear seat.

Tip: If you have the Factory Tool-kit hinged plug spanner/wrench you can use it's back-end box 10mm spanner to remove the 3 Rad bolts and push the rad forward to get to the front plug if you take off the Horn bracket without having to drain the coolant. I keep a small piece of cardboard with some double sided tape under my seat to protect my knuckles and rad when messing with the front plug.

I left my Horn bracket off and moved my custom horn,

More info here on checking Spark plug caps,

I just did my spark plugs yesterday, and they were the factory Denso plugs, and still in great shape after 25k+ miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
There's a lot of misinformation about spark plugs and their longevity. I had a set of NKGs standard coppers in one of my old Hondas that did well over 30,000 miles and were still in the bike when it got stolen :(

Those Factory Densos look as if they would still be going after 50,000 miles <grin> :D

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
155 Posts
There's a lot of misinformation about spark plugs and their longevity. I had a set of NKGs standard coppers in one of my old Hondas that did well over 30,000 miles and were still in the bike when it got stolen :(

Those Factory Densos look as if they would still be going after 50,000 miles :D
Yep some wear on the electrode, as it should, but a bit of gap adjustment, and 5 minutes with a wire brush, and they should be done for at least 15k miles. But I already had the new plugs, and they’re cheap enough.

That side spark plug on the rear cylinder was a bit of something though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is all so interestings. Thanks for posts. I am waiting on new seats recovered. Will be riding this Sunday as long as it does not rain with our Tropical weather who knows. lol.
And I will post how she is running after. It idles and revs fine but need to wind her up and listen to her talk to me. She makes beautiful sounds. Sweetness to my ears. :love:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi everyone!!!
So update time. I got seats back. Yay. Took bike for ride Tuesday Night and then today for a good bit with multiple stops. I see it runs just a little better than before and I have no loss of power and no issues or noises. So yes, must of had 2 dif plugs because is all they had no shelf when previous owner bought them. Just wanted to give you a update. Thanks so much for everything. Take care!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts