Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy -

i'm new to this board, tho' not unfamiliar with motorcycling or the internet.

i'm considering an SV650 as a commuter bike: tho' i've put about 85K on my bmw r1100rsl

my bike was recently in the shop and i used an F650 as a loaner. the light weight was great -- and it got me thinking about a lighter bike for daily use.

i've heard nothing but good things about the SV650, so i've been researching it. i know there were a lot of changes between '02 and '03. i'd be very interested in hearing folks' opinions about the differences, especially if those opinions are based on experience.

about me: i've been riding since '61, and have only owned bmw's since '79. i've shrunk to 5'4" (tho' my waist, strangely, has grown). i'm **very** aggressive in traffic, and torque, to me, is a lot more important than horsepower. i need to be able to squirt thru gaps without the delay of downshifting - that's why i like twins. i don't do track days, nor do i try to ride particularly fast in twisties.

any thoughts about 1st vs. 2nd generation for a rider like me? price, unfortunately, is a factor - i don't want to spend more than around $4k.

thanks in advance!

N

·
0 Posts
Welcome!

1st generation was '99 -'02, while the second is '03- present. While there are myriad detail changes between them the two biggest are the change to FI and the more angular styling. Other than that, there's not much to separate them performance-wise.

Since price is a factor, IMO the first gen is the way to go. The bike carbureted well bone stock, so that's not a liability and style is an individual choice. Since you've been around a while -and been around boxers a while- I doubt carbs cause you the same blind panic that they do some of them younger fellers.

Either way, welcome again and ride safe!

:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
The biggest thing I've heard besides style and fuel delivery is that the newer FI models have a slightly peppier throttle response. However I know from my experience that my first gen (left stock motor/intake/exhaust wise) has plenty good response and is zippy as all getout. The SV seems like a good bike for being aggressive in traffic, it is indeed really good for bursts of acceleration. You may have picked the perfect one.

And if styling does matter to you at all, about 90% (seriously) of the people that saw my bike in the first week I had it said something about how much more they liked the curvy first gens. It'd probably be easier to find a first gen at your price too, though if you're leaving it stock you shouldn't have a hard time finding an 03 or 04 for $3500-4000. But hey, why do that when you could have it for 2700-3200? ;D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good point - saving some $$$ is always helpful.

btw, is there a FAQ about mods for the SV650? i've noted that some folks have put SS brake lines on their front brakes (which i always do on my bikes) and have seen a few SV650 bikes around town that look like they've got a GSX front end.

i've been spoiled by having ABS for the last 6 years: in addition to peppiness, excellent brakes are a must-have. of course, it looks like adding a set of fiamm horns will be easy on the SV650, not having a fairing to worry about.

and mounting the rocket launchers should be a real snap . . . .

%^)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah - go back out to the homepage at svrider.com, then click on "Tips and Tricks" at the top. Tons of info there, and if you still aren't satisfied, go for the search page here on the forum. Oodles and oodles of info.

I have SS lines on my bike but they came on it so I can't comment on the change - everyone else says they make a big difference though, as you'd expect. However, I've now got enough stopping power to overwhelm the front tire with the crappy front forks. You'd probably want to do atleast a fork oil weight change, but then again most people say everyone should be doing that =P. Many others go with replacing the front end, and you called it, the GSXR is the most common donor. Options with an SV are just about endless when it comes to the aftermarket =P.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
hey welcome, glad your considering an sv, the 1st gen and 2nd gen camps are very rabid, i'm in the first gen camp, the style is alot more rounded, carborated, and frankly the original 8), the second gen frame looks like an iron bridge :p, has the fuel injection and does have a slight HP increase do to hotter cams,
which ever you choose get the blue, it is the fastest color ;D

·
Registered
92 Posts
i like the sharp angles of the second gen. I'm not a big fan of the rounded fairings. not that theres any thing wrong with them just diffrent strokes for diffrent folks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as you can see from the picture in my first post, i'm firmly in favor of blue bikes. *EVERY SINGLE ONE* of my current stable is blue -- sadly, tho', there's currently only one bike in the stable. :'(

now all i need to do is find an SV650 to sit on, to be sure my decrepit knees and back will tolerate it.

one question, tho': why does the spell-checker on svrider.com think that svrider is misspelled? ;)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
any good mechanic can dial in carbs. they can be made to work very well. and you don't need a computer/box to dial it in. this coming from a guy that has an FI model. any year will be a blast :eek: and I agree BLUE is always faster. back when Kevin Swhantz was racing, he was always faster on his BLUE bikes over the red ones!!!!!!!!! ::)

·
Registered
23 Posts
glad to find you over here, doc! i enjoy all your articles @ MCN. as you can read from this site, you'll get all sorts of pros for either gen so you can't go wrong w/ either. i personally prefer the 2nd gen (i've got an 05). as price is a concern, the first gens will probably be a bit less costly than the 2nd gens unless you find one that's really tricked out. one thing i miss about cal is lane-splitting & you certainly will have no problem doing this w/ the sv. its so light & narrow compared to your boxer you'd think you're on a rocket-powered bicycle. good luck w/ your search.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Docflash

I can't attest to 2nd gen SVs very well, I've ridden a few, but what can you tell in a few miles, I got a hundred miles at most riding any 2nd gen Svs , not even a tank a gas total

I have 119,000+ miles on my nekid red 99, I've added utitarian accessorys heated grips, lead for heated clothing, luggage rack, fly screen, tak bra, saddlebags, handguards from a KLR, radar detector, bar end mirrors, scottoiler

haven't had to do anything out of normal oil, tires, chain sprockets, tires, brakes, my original clutch lasted 102k, I've had to replace clutch perch, shifter linkage, stuff that gets worn if you ride, also RR needed to be replaced, voltage regulator never last on hardly any japanese sportbike, so the RR is kinda normal

I also have an aftermarket exaust & jetting, stock jetting on the crbs is lean and theres a slight flat spot in the power delivery about 4500-5000 rpm if I remember, It's been so may miles since i had stock jetting, over 100,000 miles ago.
I also went up 1 tooth on the front sprocket, the jetting have cut my milage 15% but I got back half of it with the front sprocket

I have some oil consumption, nothing serious, mostly from valve seals

It still has helium in the front wheel

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Docflash!

Welcome to SVRider. The major differences between 1st and 2nd gen are the Fuel Injection and the angular styling. I believe '03 (first year of 2nd gen) actually had a different subframe from the '04 and '05 models. First gens are slightly lower in seat height and a lot less forward incline.

I ride an '01 S and have been taking care of my nephew's '03 S and notice that I'm getting better mileage on the '01 (54 mpg vs 49 mpg). There are quite a few Bay Area SV'ers around. Check the Regional section and you'll see a few of them posting for rides.

Sorry for the long post. My advice is to choose the one you like and fit the best. Just keep in mind, 1st gen = carbs, lower seat height, little less power than 2nd gen and 2nd gen = Fuel Injection, higher seat, slightly more power, slightly larger gas tank.

As you already noted, SS brake lines are a recommended mod. Two other mods to think of right away are frame sliders and suspension bits. Good luck with your decision and let us know how you choose! I think posting pics will be requested. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
orangegilly said:
Hehe, this from a guy with a VMax. ;)
No kiddin'. A case of the pot calling the kettle black. That's not unlike asking why use a chain, since it's SO 1800's.

Really though - the 'value' SV's are going to be first-gen models. My advice is, like all other used bikes - find one that's as un-modified (un-molested?) as possible.

Finding one for under $2500 - even an '02, might take a while, but they're there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
much excellent advice - thanks!!

i'm keeping an eye on ebay, craigslist, and on the classified section of svrider. i've seen a few in the right price main, allowing about a grand for mods like SS lines, better shocks / forks, hot grips (i'm spoiled by all my bmw's), and of course, fiamm horns.

another bike option suggested itself, after reading what i wrote about liking good torque for the "point and shoot" style riding and lanesplitting: the buell M2 cyclone. i've ridden a couple of buells for citybike magazine, and one thing they DON'T lack is torque. of course, an M2 is 40 lbs heavier than an SV650 (tho' not as fast, despite the 1203CC engine). ::)

still, there are lot more SV650s than M2's around. but i'm keeping my eyes open . . .

N

·
0 Posts
I've never ridden a Buell, but many here lust (or loathe!) after them. The Buells don't look all that comfortable for commuting or distance duty though.

:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts