Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me say that I'm mechanically inclined, but am also lazy and cheap. :) I was looking at all that needs to be done on the first service and it really seems like a glorified oil change, which I have already done. My question is how many of you guys have bagged the rediculously expensive 1st service, changed the oil, and just called it good? Did ya'll notice anything that made you wish you had done the 1st service through the dealer? Scott

·
Registered
104 Posts
unless I'm mistaken, you need to have the first service performed by a licensed shop to maintain your warranty. They also go over and re torque all the more important bolts, check chain tension, check for leaks etc...

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
You dont need to do it @ a dealer to keep your warranty. Just keep your reciepts for the parts for proof.

As far as doing it @ a dealer. Totally your preference. I have a great relationship with my dealer. Prices for the 1st service seem to vary widely from dealer to dealer. Mine was about $200, it included the O/F change, clean adjust chain, tighten all fasteners..... they also synched the throttle bodies.... and a bunch of other stuff. I found it well worth the money.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Lazy and cheap a bad combination

No offense, just poking at you a bit.

The most important aspect of the inspection is torqueing all the fasteners. Particularly, those fasteners that hold steering and brakes together. It's not hard to do and doesn't involve a huge investment (beam-type torque wrench, set of allen head sockets).

Next in importance is all the adjustments, like chain slack, carburetor synch, clutch cable, etc.

The oil change is a snap and requires minimal tools.

So you should definitely have all that stuff done. If you don't want to do it yourself, then bite the bullet and pay the shop. I don't really trust shops so I do all my own work.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, i was under the impression that the 600 mile service and even the 1k or 1.5k service (whatever comes next) was part of the warranty, i didn't know you had to pay for it. Suddenly i don't feel like the dealer gave me as good of a deal as i thought.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
You'll definately want to have all of the fasteners retorqued. That's one of the most important things in the first service. You can download a service manual (free) and buy a torque wrench and do it yourself.

Personally, I understand your dilema, as I am also lazy and cheap...the lazy took over in this particular case, however. It looked (to me) to be more bolts to retorque than I felt like doing. It looked to me that it would probably take me 2 or 3 hours to do (or maybe more), since I would be flipping back and forth in the manual, to figure out exactly what to tighten to exactly what torque...I'm new to motorcycles, and I need pictures :)

Since the first service at my dealership was only about $100, oil change (just oil and filter) is about $20, so that left $80. I felt that, for $80, it was worth the peace of mind that it was all done correctly, the peace of mind that my warranty was intact, and the avoidance of the headache of having to retorque all those fasteners.

There are a couple of other things that they do, too...lube the chain, check chain tension, some other stuff I cant remember. Again, all stuff I wouldve had to do, and I'm lazy.

Well worth $100, IMO. If they had tried to charge me a big pile of moula for it...well...maybe my cheap half wouldve taken over :wink:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading a couple of replys I called the dealer and made a deal. Since I changed the oil I got a quote of 58 bux. That I can handle, so in it goes next Monday. I downloaded the manual, but it seemed to me to be a bit more than I wanted to take on. There you have it. Thanks guys! Scott

·
Registered
212 Posts
you should do it just for verification that you have done it and the torque specs are right. Remember, unless you bought a used bike... the bolts will work loose. also, they will oil up the points needed.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
belltold12 said:
wow, i was under the impression that the 600 mile service and even the 1k or 1.5k service (whatever comes next) was part of the warranty, i didn't know you had to pay for it. Suddenly i don't feel like the dealer gave me as good of a deal as i thought.
In my experience, the dealer wouldn't give me a break on any of the service costs, stating that the service dept was a pretty separate entity. Maybe b.s., maybe not. As far as I'm concerned, the money all came from the same place... Regardless, first service on my wife's '05 SV was (corrected!) $113, and done overnight. Certainly doable on your own, but like others have said, if you don't have the right tools, it'll start to get pretty costly (not to mention the relative cost of the amount of time you'll spend on it, as opposed to a pro).

Don't get discouraged from doing your own maintenance later on, though. You'll have plenty of chances to check your own torque settings and valve clearances throughout the years. This is all under the assumption that you have novice wrenching exp.

good luck!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yah, for $100 I would have a shop do it. My dealer quoted my $240 + parts. Screw that. So I did my own. It takes a little while to do the first time, but you get to know your bike and save money. I hate paying shops to do work I can reasonably do myself.

·
Registered
197 Posts
More importantly than trying to get your dealer to come down in price is finding a dealer that actually does the work. I unfortunately work in the industry and know of several dealers that will charge you for work that was never done without thinking twice about it. Most service managers think inspections like that are a waste of time and since the mechanics time cost the dealership money, they will happily charge you without even opening the drawer that the torque wrench lies in. I even know mechanics that have been instructed to wipe grease somewhere or leave fingerprints on something to make it look like it was worked on.

This does not mean that every dealership is that bad, it means you have to use your judgement and develop a relationship with the mechanics and service manager. Food is your best ally. Buy the guys some lunch, talk bikes with them and they will take care of you. If it feels like you are talking to a salesman while you are getting your bike written up I would walk away. In any industry, there are bad apples.

·
Registered
197 Posts
belltold12 said:
A warranty is a warranty, it protects you from manufacturing defects. You are referring to a service contract.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My mechanic has quoted me about 100 bucks, same day in and out. I'll take her in sometime next week. :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
ls14ever said:
Yah, for $100 I would have a shop do it. My dealer quoted my $240 + parts. Screw that. So I did my own. It takes a little while to do the first time, but you get to know your bike and save money. I hate paying shops to do work I can reasonably do myself.
Last year I was in the same boat and did the 1st service myself. Though I never was able to check the torque of all the bolts because I didn't have the right size sockets/allen socket/etc... for the bigger bolts. I created a thread about getting those tools, but nothing came of it. Did you tighten the chassis bolts and steering head bolt, and if so, mind sharing what tools you used and where you got them?

I have a nice Craftsman 1/2" torque wrench (the click type), so I'm covered there.

PS - I judged the bigger bolts to be fine by virtue of the white marks that the assembler made on the bolts when they checked the.

·
Registered
398 Posts
merlot said:
Last year I was in the same boat and did the 1st service myself. Though I never was able to check the torque of all the bolts because I didn't have the right size sockets/allen socket/etc... for the bigger bolts. I created a thread about getting those tools, but nothing came of it. Did you tighten the chassis bolts and steering head bolt, and if so, mind sharing what tools you used and where you got them?

I have a nice Craftsman 1/2" torque wrench (the click type), so I'm covered there.

PS - I judged the bigger bolts to be fine by virtue of the white marks that the assembler made on the bolts when they checked the.
I just have a fairly large craftsman mechanics toolset that came with some of the larger wrenches. (I think I have sockets upto about 30mm) There are a couple bolts like you said that the average toolset wont have. But I think all the important ones you can get to yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i ended up changing the oil myself because i was at the 600mile mark, and they couldnt get my bike in the shop. i definately didnt want to not ride the bike until they could fit me in. i dropped it off on a saturday for a couple hours, and $68 later she was done. i did notice my clutch and chain had been adjusted, chain was lubbed, and little things here and there.

i just didnt want to have any issues with warranty. i HATE, and i mean HATE having other people touch my cars/bike. but its just one of those things.

also, i had an issue with my clutch and i went and talked to the service manage and the shop owner was around. the very first thing both of them asked was if i had my first service done.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I did the first service myself.

Oil change, chain tension, brakes check, head bearings check, clutch adjust, and the most important of all = put a wrench on everything to make sure it is tight.

No problems. 

I am at 5300 miles since march 20 05. 

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there i am new to the board but i thought i should add my 2 cents worth. My dealer was going to charge me 600 bucks for the oil change and the first service which if you have downloaded the free service manual isn't so bad. i hav ebeen wrenching on cars and bikes and pretty much anything that needs wrenching for the better part of my life so i thought it was a little steep, but i can also see if you get a decent price it would be worth it, i am just venting about my overpriced dealer. ;D

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
wraith1176 said:
Hey there i am new to the board but i thought i should add my 2 cents worth.  My dealer was going to charge me 600 bucks for the oil change and the first service which if you have downloaded the free service manual isn't so bad.  i hav ebeen wrenching on cars and bikes and pretty much anything that needs wrenching for the better part of my life so i thought it was a little steep, but i can also see if you get a decent price it would be worth it, i am just venting about my overpriced dealer. ;D
no way would I pay $600 for it. Like I said, mine was $100 and I felt that that was a fair price for what is involved with retorquing all of the fasteners and all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
600 mile service
I took my ( 05 svs BLUE ;D ) to the local dealership on monday b/c when I bought the bike there they said that I am priority and they could get me right in! So I get there and they say we will call you wed :'( This sux I am having withdraws! But I plan on doing all the rest of its oil changes. I was always told if its a new bike just take it to the shop on the first service b/c it looks better on record books!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts