Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Anything not stock
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to expose myself to inter web world… and share my “I don’t know why, except because I can” build of a 1 of none, New Vintage Cafe bike.

I hope I figured out how to post pictures. Comments, hates, and praises welcomed.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
Anything not stock
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My son wrecked the bike so I just got the tank and welded in flat side panels and kinda half ass MAD Max’ed the bike… then let it sit outside for 2 years….

the next idea I had while sitting at home for a week last month was to try to make a modern or New Vintage cafe racer style bike with a twist. The tank I modded was looking like a camel so I wanted to try to make a skirt on the old tank to give it that flat bottom line that’s signature to cafe bikes… … ya… um… no.

insert smack your forehead emoji.

so I needed a vintage tank to start out with, well whatcha Know, had one in my shop…

now to make the tank clear the frame I would have to widened (spelling?) it 3.5”… Fu#k that!

if I’m gonna do all that, I might as well go big! Let’s build a tank in the back! (Sure that will be way easier, ya I’m a dumbass)
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
Anything not stock
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don’t hate on my Burger King head light cowl!!! Haha. So I thought I could use the tank filler for the rear rake section so I started mocking it up… I tried and tried to make it work but it was to over powering for how small the tail is…. So after all the massaging, I found a pop up flush cap from one of my Harley builds and was like, “BAM!” Then I was like, “Shit, I don’t have a bung for the cap to thread into!”

what you know, I had some tubing that slipped over the O.D. of the cap threads. So I transcribed the thread pitch with some paper and cut out slits around the tube. Then I pushed in some TIG rod in the slits, so they protruded into the inside of the tube, and welded up the slits…. Wala! Threaded bung.
Automotive tire Hood Gas Circle Auto part

Automotive tire Water Automotive wheel system Gas Wood

Automotive tire Automotive design Tire Automotive exterior Art

Automotive tire Fluid Wood Gas Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Engineering Machine

Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Gesture Wood Bumper Electrical wiring

·
Registered
Anything not stock
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I needed to make some sort of frame work for the seat to secure to… oh ya then make a seat, oops, and build a tank… oh ya also need to get some rear sets, all new hand controls, clamp on bars, tail light/headlight… radiator, new dash, reword the whole bike, fix exhaust, upholster seat cover…. Body work, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, modify fuel rail to enable return style fueling… clean up bike, brakes, rear tire, chain, tune up basic fluids….. u know totally be able to get this done in 2 weeks, no problem.

they say a photo is a 1000 words…. Here is photo diarrhea

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's always good to see how others tackle the same problems. I'm still working on my "old school tank" but I can see yours is really coming together. Keep posting and we can compare notes.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I'm impressed with what you can do in your garage.
I hate the upside down bars though and I'm not a fan of the bobbed tail look.
Great work though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I really enjoy watching the discovery process, warts and dead ends included. I've had plenty of restarts after ideas that seemed good at the time didn't pan out. A couple of questions, (and maybe I missed it)

1. Is gas only carried in the tail section, or does it feed the front tank, and then the engine
2. Are you staying with fuel injection, and where did you put (or plan to put) the fuel pump?
3. Along these lines, then is the front tank just a shell, with the bottom pan cut out to clear the frame and air box?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Anything not stock
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi the front tank area is a facade which houses the battery, ecu, relays etc. also the walboro 255 inline pump and areomotive fuel pressure regulator.

tank holds about 1.5 gallons. Yes not a practical design but more like a novelty bike or conversation piece.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts