Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first mods were aesthetics only, a comp werkes fender eliminator short stalk blinkers and a buell M2 flyscreen. I'm thinking about getting a powerbronze chinspoiler but besides that what should I do performance wise? I'm open to suggestions but not without careful thought and explanation. I don't want to do something for no "apparent" reason. So give me your suggestions. I have a 2002 Black 650N, bone stock down to the tires. What should I do and why?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
suspension (unless you weigh ~130LBS). THe stock springs are to light and make for a spongy ride.

de-snorkle and re-jet. It's cheap and will give you alot more power for the cost.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
1 Gear
2 Frame sliders
3 Training/practice if you're a newer rider

4 Front suspension
5 Rear suspension
6 TRE mod (free)
7 R6 throttle

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike came with frame sliders and handlebar sliders as well. I thought the TRE mod was only 2nd gen bikes? I'm 170 lbs.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm assuming a R6 throttle is simply a throttle from a Yamaha R6?? But I'm sure I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Chase said:
The bike came with frame sliders and handlebar sliders as well. I thought the TRE mod was only 2nd gen bikes? I'm 170 lbs.

No, TRE (Timing Retard Eliminator?) mod is a wire snipping that basically de-restricts 1st and 2nd gear (restricted as stock to meet noise standards); PAIR valve is 2nd gen only, maybe that is what you were thinking of? TRE mod doesn't give you horsepower, it just makes 1 and 2 get to shifting RPM a little faster...HTH

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Chase said:
I'm assuming a R6 throttle is simply a throttle from a Yamaha R6?? But I'm sure I'm wrong.

You are correct; brief search on this site will give you correct part #; look to spend $10-15 at your local Yamaha dealer; it is a 1/5 turn throttle as opposed to the 1/4 turn stock SV; no horsepower, it just requires less time and effort to go WOT...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
thejimdaddy said:
yes frame slider are the absolute first things to get, sorry, thejimdaddy forgot :-[

thejimdaddy is busy and need not worry about small details: delegate that to the minions... ;D

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so whats behind the de-snorkle and re-jet??

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Chase said:
so whats behind the de-snorkle and re-jet??

In brief, getting more air and fuel to the carbs, respectively. More air with more fuel = bigger bang..

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Heres my 2 cents,the best money spent is suspension upgrades. More power with out controle will likley get you into troble.My bike came cheap so I have done a bit to it,the rear shock hasbeen the best upgrade bar none and made me faster and more confidant. The bike is also eaaser to get out of troble. If you are under 170# then focus on the rear. Take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
If you want power mods, I'd say do the cam swap over carb work- the reason being the cam swap is drop-in while you can spend forever trying to get your carbs set up right. Of course, if you take it to a dyno to get set up that's not an issue, but that drives the price way up. The R6 throttle swap's great, especially at the price. And I like the 4 degree ignition advancer for a street bike, more torque where you want it- personally I'd trade torque in the middle for power onthe top any day of the week.

I'd totally agree that handling mods- suspension and brakes- are better than power mods, though. Springs and oil are a good first step, and you can go with emulators later if you choose to.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
What is the going rate for Dyno Runs?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Six Chin Skinny said:
In brief, getting more air and fuel to the carbs, respectively.  More air with more fuel = bigger bang..
Okay that explanation is okay for the de-snorkel but what exactly does a re-jet entail?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think I want to do:

1. Springs and oil
2. Rear shock swap
3. SM Type 1 handlebar
4. SVS or adjustable rearsets
5. Front SS brake lines
6. R6 throttle

How is that for priority??

I've heard different takes on the rear shock swap. Any advise? I don't mean to stir up a can of worms but there are alot of gsxr shocks on ebay which would I be looking for and what would I have to do to it once I got it to dial it in for me?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts