Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2002 naked stranded me today right in the middle of a divided highway with lights. It was running fine, until I shut it off for a long stoplight, and that was the last time I ever heard the starter motor engage.

I pushed it to a gas station across the street and was able to start it by putting it in 2nd gear, getting a running start and dropping the clutch. This method reliably works but the starter motor will no longer engage. Is my starter motor bad? Contacts dirty? My indicator lights dim when I push the starter button so it at least thinks it's delivering voltage.

I'm not sure how to verify that the starter is getting 12v - I have a multimeter and assume the positive probe goes on the big obvious terminal on the starter motor, but where does the negative probe go?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Check across the contacts on the starter relay when you try to crank it. That will see if the starter is even getting the power. Also check the voltage between the contacts on the battery itself. Battery could be low or relay could be not engaging.

Not sure why that would cause it to die at a light tho.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Check across the contacts on the starter relay when you try to crank it. That will see if the starter is even getting the power. Also check the voltage between the contacts on the battery itself. Battery could be low or relay could be not engaging.

Not sure why that would cause it to die at a light tho.
It didn't die at the light, he turned it off to save gas.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It didn't die at the light, he turned it off to save gas.
Yes. And then heavily regretted doing so.

Where exactly is my starter relay? Must be on the right side of the bike somehwere? By pictures, it's definitely not the one that's with the fusebox under the seat, I take it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a situation once where my battery had enough juice to start the bike when cold (low compression) but wouldn't crank it when warm (just enough compression to resist the starter). Test the voltage at the battery right now, then fully charge it, and check it again. Then, check the voltage as you try to start it. The voltage should rebound to the original voltage after trying to start it, if it doesn't then it's time to replace the battery.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The starter relay is behind the right side cover under the rider's seat. Below the level of the battery and the other fuses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts