Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know that the 2nd Gen cams are better than the 1st Gen cams when you do the cam swap, but how much better are they?

How much HP difference is there between them?

If I can get 1st gen cams for $100, but I have to pay $200 for 2nd gen cams, is there any REAL reason to pay the extra?

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
orangegilly said:
Wacky saw a HUGE increase when he did his cams.  I think the 2nd gen is really the only way to go.  They changed the profiles and that's what makes it work.  He posted his before and after dyno graph in this thread: http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=46460.msg505983#msg505983
Yeah, but Wacky went from Stock Exhaust cams to 2nd Gen Intake cams.
Im speaking about the difference between 1st gen intake & 2nd gen Intake.

Why is 2nd gen the only way to go?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The lift is different.  The first gen intakes have 1.400" of lift and the 03 intake have 1.425" of lift.  How much does this equate to power????  I'm not sure.  I have never seen a dyno of just intake cam'd motor.  I did see one of a full sencond gen intake cam'd motor.  It was a screamer.

I'm not sure why the second gen intakes are more money now.  They were $100 a piece.  Did you check Ron Ayers?  Or CCoD?

But for the $200 I spent to get the 9 hp gain... I'm happy as a clam.  Plus, I'll get more up top when I rejet correctly....  he he...

BTW - I am running 200 Intake for my exhaust cams and 03 intakes for my intakes. If I ran all 03 intakes.... yikes...

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wacky_woodchuck said:
The lift is different.  The first gen intakes have 1.400" of lift and the 03 intake have 1.425" of lift.  How much does this equate to power????  I'm not sure.  I have never seen a dyno of just intake cam'd motor.  I did see one of a full sencond gen intake cam'd motor.  It was a screamer.

I'm not sure why the second gen intakes are more money now.  They were $100 a piece.  Did you check Ron Ayers?  Or CCoD?

But for the $200 I spent to get the 9 hp gain... I'm happy as a clam.  Plus, I'll get more up top when I rejet correctly....  he he...

BTW - I am running 200 Intake for my exhaust cams and 03 intakes for my intakes.  If I ran all 03 intakes.... yikes... 

Well, I've found some 1st gen intake cams for $75 + shipping, so Im just wondering if it would be worth the extra to buy 2nd gen is all. Because I dont think finding some 2nd gen cams for $75 - $100 is too likely considering their popularity.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you put 1st or 2nd gen intakes on the xhaust side the improvement is significant. .025 increase in lift is not much, but if you have a Gen1 and buy a seti of gen2 intakes, put them on the intake side and use the gen 1 intakes for exhaust side.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
But what is best if you have a 2nd GEN bike? What cam swap can you do in that scenario?

·
Registered
21 Posts
wacky_woodchuck said:
first gen intakes on your exhaust side.  You'll gain 0.8mm of lift.
Any reliability isues with this? Will it cause valve float or anything like that? What about a loss in low end torque?

I assume one would have to swap the gears from thier old cams to the new ones??

Did you have to run a PCIII or similar to dump more fuel up top?

G

·
Vee2win said:
Any reliability isues with this? Will it cause valve float or anything like that? What about a loss in low end torque?

I assume one would have to swap the gears from thier old cams to the new ones??

Did you have to run a PCIII or similar to dump more fuel up top?
no reliability issues.
you dont have to swap gears,just mark it different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts