Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm looking into the feasibility of making my own dashboard using arduinos and some simple electronics.

I was wondering if anyone knew what signal the stock tacho recieves from the ignition unit? (i.e. just a varying voltage or pulses with varying frequency) as I'll need to know that for the code in the arduino.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
... I was wondering if anyone knew what signal the stock tacho recieves from the ignition unit? (i.e. just a varying voltage or pulses with varying frequency)
The tach signal for the gen1 SV650 comes directly from the primary wire at the ignition coil. It is a single pulse, about 6ms wide (dwell), the frequency is one pulse per 360 deg rev of the crankshaft as Leon said.

Beware, this signal has 100v spikes(!) due to the inductive nature of the ignition coil. It can not be connected directly to the input of a micro-controller. Clamping and filtering is required.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, I have fitted a aftermarket dash t my gen1 sv650. the tach required a pulse which i got by connecting to the pulse input wire at the cdi, I did this over a year ago and had no problems.
Old school tachs connect to the - side of coil primary
Hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts