Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I have a first gen '02 SV650 and I am having an issue. A couple of weeks ago the bike died while I was riding. A friend with a trailer picked me up and when I got it home and tested the battery, it was clear the battery was dead.

I now have a brand new battery in it, and here is the sequence that happened yesterday when I went to start it:

1. Turned key to "On." Headlight came on, fuel, oil pressure, and neutral indicator lights came on.
2. Set engine stop switch to "Run." (In my Clymer manual it has those two steps reversed. Does that matter?)
3. Bike is in neutral, pull clutch in, hit starter, everything shuts off.
4. I turn ignition to "Off," turn back on again and nothing comes back on. Hit starter (just for the heck of it) and nothing happens.
5. A few minutes later, it all works again. I start the bike, it runs fine, I ride it around, no issues.

Today I checked and cleaned the fuses and tested the battery with a multimeter and it has juice. Any ideas about what might be causing this?

Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
8,541 Posts
Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight.

Also, check the heavy red cable from the battery to the starter relay, it may have worked loose when changing the battery.

Once the problem is resolved, be sure to check charging voltage. Should see 14.5v at 5k rpm. The gen1 SV are notorious for charging system problems, specifically failed R/Rs. There is a good chance that is why your battery died and stranded you.

If the bike still has the stock R/R, replace it immediately, even if everything is still working. The stock R/R is a ticking time bomb and when it fails, has the potential to fry other electronics on the bike as well as your brand new battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight.

Also, check the heavy red cable from the battery to the starter relay, it may have worked loose when changing the battery.

Once the problem is resolved, be sure to check charging voltage. Should see 14.5v at 5k rpm. The gen1 SV are notorious for charging system problems, specifically failed R/Rs. There is a good chance that is why your battery died and stranded you.

If the bike still has the stock R/R, replace it immediately, even if everything is still working. The stock R/R is a ticking time bomb and when it fails, has the potential to fry other electronics on the bike including your brand new battery.

Thanks TeeRiver,

I will certainly check the cable and the charging voltage. I have read a few threads on here about replacing with a GSXR R/R. Are there any other options? Is there simply an aftermarket SV option?

·
Super Moderator
8,541 Posts
There are lots of replacement R/R options. The most critical parameter, the R/R must be cool running MOSFET type. The R/R on the gen1 SV is located in the tail, has no airflow, runs hot and dies. Heat kills electronics.

For known reliability, I would get a used FH008 R/R off, say, a Honda CBR. Those are MOSFET type and guaranteed OEM quality.

There are a ton of MOFET replacements, mostly knock-offs, they may be fine but long term reliability is unknown.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to me. Smelled that wonderful burning electronics smell. Took at the R/R and it was melted.

Picked up a MOSFET R/R from a CBR and the FH008 kit from Eastern Beaver.

Hope to get it up and running after all of that comes in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had the same thing happen to me. Smelled that wonderful burning electronics smell. Took at the R/R and it was melted.

Picked up a MOSFET R/R from a CBR and the FH008 kit from Eastern Beaver.

Hope to get it up and running after all of that comes in.
Cool. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts