Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

· Registered
1,607 Posts
So I am measuring from the flat bottom of the float and not the corner like Suzukis picture shows

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The manual is misleading.

With the Carb orientated as per my picture you measure from the top of the back of the Float furthest from the FNV to the carb body/flange. IIRC correctly it's a round 7mm for the SV650.

· Registered
1,607 Posts
i found it hard to read my rule so do you err on the side of 6 or 7 mm? i could not understand which number means higher or lower fuel height.
You don't really have to have to worry about that Nick.

If you set the floats @ say 5mm they would be lifted too soon by the fuel level and starve the system. If they were set @ 9mm they would not lift until too late and allow too much fuel through. I think I've got that the right way round but I'm sure you get the idea.

If you set the floats @ 7mm there's a +/- of 0.5mm hysteresis and they will operate correctly. The floats are constantly moving and the system flexes a little so there's a little Leigh way in the setting but the closer to 7mm you can get the better :)

Notes: There's a little known fact about CV carbs inasmuch as that the FNV may be a spring loaded type and can seize if left for years unused. This is not an issue if a carb service kit is and should be used as the FNV also wear and eventually cause problems.

Also when servicing the carbs the ACVs ( Air Cutoff Valves should be checked. These are under the plates on the sides of the carbs. They enrich the mixture when closing the throttle to prevent backfires from a lean mixture that occurs when rapidly closing the throttle on CV carbs.

You'll hear this on loads of older Harleys as a lot of the riders don't know about the ACV part of the carb system.

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Gotcha. Yes, the manual picture is confusing but I understand from your pic.

The air cutoff diaphragms looked good and were still pliable, so I reinstalled them.

Hopefully in the next few days we will have the carbs mounted back on the bike

· Registered
102 Posts
Disclaimer--I wasn't actually setting float heights when I took these pictures, but someone had asked me how to do it. My interpretation of the instructions was to take it from the float bowl mating surface of the carburetor body to the highest point on the float.

If my interpretation is wrong, I'd love to be corrected now before wasting a bunch of time in the future.

Font Triangle Paper Paper product Document

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Machine

Hand Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Engineering

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I don't really like how the seats press in. Felt like they needed to go in farther.. but got the screw in to hold them in situ..

That's pretty much how I did it. They were pretty darn close within 1mm on one. Adjusted that one a bit and now they're mounted.

A crap load of rust came out of the pump so I flushed that and added a filter online between the pump and carbs in addition to the tank to pump. Tank is pretty bad inside

But she runs!

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Thoughts on the float seats install?

I feel like they should have gone All The Way down, making the shoulder flush with the carb surface. I got them within a hair or 2 of being totally flush, pressing with a wooden dowel. I didn't want to use excessive force and break something

Edit

I went back to my old carb set and reseated the float seats. They sit a hair or 2 higher than the carb body, so I think I'm good?

One of those things that will always be in the back of my mind.

First time with these carbs and all

· Registered
1,607 Posts
It's been a while since I did mine so cannot remember how high/low the FNV seat/filter sits but so long as they are both the same then it will be the Float height setting that will compensate for it and should operate correctly.

Make sure you fit an inline fuel filter between the Petcock and the fuel pump.

Reactions: jstehman

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Oil and filter change today. Old stuff smelled of gas. Old nasty gas at that

To be expected with the condition of the tank and carbs.

A fair amount of rust has come though the petcock, makes me think the screen is no longer intact or even there. Have filters on both sides of the pump for now.

I'm debating on what to tackle next..
Fuel tank or brakes.. space is an issue in my garage so I'm leaning towards brakes. I'd like to be able to take the fuel tank outdoors while it's being de-rusted and flushed. At least the calipers and master cylinders can be cleaned inside.

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I removed the RH front brake caliper to clean yesterday.

Brake fluid in the MC was honey colored, but makes pressure

I disassembled the caliper and cleaned the grooves for the seals. Pistons were pretty cruddy, but cleaned up nice with no pitting.

It could use a new set of pads, but for now they go back on the bike. On to the LH caliper...

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Scored a cheap pitbull rear stand and spools off FB. Got spoiled with my Hondas having centerstands

I was checking out the non oring chain that's on there and found the master link clip is gone . No worries. Chain and sprockets are in the long list.

Going around and hitting every nut and bolt that needs to come off with Kroil

· Registered
2001 Suzuki SV650S
26 Posts
Scored a cheap pitbull rear stand and spools off FB. Got spoiled with my Hondas having centerstands

I was checking out the non oring chain that's on there and found the master link clip is gone . No worries. Chain and sprockets are in the long list.

Going around and hitting every nut and bolt that needs to come off with Kroil

Update on my ‘01 carb rebuild. It’s been quite the process and a lot of time. Carbs are assembled and ready to be installed. Still working on the gas tank. Hopefully the pictures tell the story. The first picture is a reminder of how bad the carbs were. The second picture is after just 5 minutes in the ultrasonic bath but the carbs were in the bath for a total of 40 minutes each time attempting to disassemble individual parts without trashing them.
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Auto part Metal
White Light Automotive tire Gas Auto part
White Light Automotive tire Gas Auto part
Office equipment Wood Gas Sewing machine Machine
Gas Machine Engineering Kitchen utensil Metal
Brown Sewing machine Sewing machine feet Wood Luggage and bags
Motor vehicle Toy Gas Engineering Auto part

· Registered
1,607 Posts
You should be proud of the work you have put in. I've only had one set of CV carbs as bad as that so I know how crappy it can be. I hope all the internal small venturi are clear but you won't know until you get the bike running. Keep going as it's a good time of year to get this kind of work done :)

Reactions: Geo Smith

· Registered
2001 Suzuki SV650S
26 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Straticus. I agree about the concern for all the small internal passageways and hoping that the ultrasonic bath did it's magic! Initial startup, hopefully in the next few days or so, will be the proof that it was worth the effort.

· Registered
1,607 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Straticus. I agree about the concern for all the small internal passageways and hoping that the ultrasonic bath did it's magic! Initial startup, hopefully in the next few days or so, will be the proof that it was worth the effort.
Once you get them running good and can balance properly the power delivery of the SV650 power-plant is a joy to ride/use and once you incorporate the sweet engine braking on deceleration especially taking bends they are awesome IMHO :)

61 - 80 of 104 Posts