Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
41 - 60 of 104 Posts

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
First round of carb dip and ultrasonic cleaning. Look pretty good

I will probably do one more round of soak and sonic. Float seats and needles should be here soon, then on to reassembly and setting TPS.

Struggling with disconnectimg the switch from the bike harness,.so gonna hit that with contact cleaner and wiggle some more

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,770 Posts
Looking good bud. I love pulling stuff from the ultrasonic cleaner. Instant gratification. But be sure to still blow out every port, nook and cranny. Dips and ultrasonics do a good job. But you still have to go through the painstaking job of hitting all the ports with blasts of carb cleaner, and then blasting though with compressed air. Search SVR for ziptech's methods. It saved me. Cheers.

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Carbs almost ready to pop back on the bike.

Diaphragms and caps installed, as well as coasting valves.

Rough carb sync with strip of copy paper as a feeler

Waiting for float needles and seats to arrive, then I can button them up, set the pilots and hook up new fuel lines, Set TPS.

We will be running from a temporary tank, the bikes tank needs flushed and cleaning.

Hope everyone is having a nice Holiday!

· Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,770 Posts
That's that thingy with wires going to it that everyone said don't fuck with. So I didn't.

· Registered
102 Posts
I removed the sensor from the carburetor before I ultrasonicced it.

Looks easy enough to adjust. Found a good video on YT Thanks Matt

I swear to god it doesn't do anything. I've been reading about that unit for years (it's the same part on a GSF600 MK2 Bandit). There are a few people that claim adjusting it is some miracle cure that fixed their bike. A lot of the old guard on those boards with decades of experience with those bikes say it does absolutely nothing. I lean towards nothing--but I never just unplugged it after riding it to see if I could feel the difference. It's easily accessible on that bike from the right side.

I was thinking about the TPS on the SV the other day. When you see people installing Keihin flat slide carburetors on race bikes, are they bothering with the TPS? Or just ignoring whatever function it's providing? A google search shows this topic was discussed here 10 years ago with similar vague feedback: Keihin FRC 41mm Flat slide Carburetors

· Registered
102 Posts
That's that thingy with wires going to it that everyone said don't fuck with. So I didn't.
The thing is that you likely did fuck with it if you touched it at all when cleaning your carburetors. If you did any type of dunking in cleaner (not just blowing carb cleaner/compressed air through passages), you likely uninstalled the electrical component. It bolts to the carburetor through two eccentric bores. The pivot alignment of how you put those two small bolts back on that hold it in place will affect voltage read at the closed and WOT positions. It's a very small positional adjustment that wasn't obvious to me the first few times I was looking at it.

· Registered
1,607 Posts
I can't see what a TPS would do on the CV carbs and what it could electronically/physically control ?

As FI systems use sensors and electronics to control fuel flow I can understand that but on cruder and more mechanical Carbs I struggle to see how a TPS could work:/

Also,

· Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,770 Posts
If you did any type of dunking in cleaner
No dunking, just blasts of carb cleaner and compressed air. But it seem the consensus is the thingy has no function. Next carb cleaning I'll remove it and use the ultrasonic cleaner.

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
I can't see what a TPS would do on the CV carbs and what it could electronically/physically control ?

As FI systems use sensors and electronics to control fuel flow I can understand that but on cruder and more mechanical Carbs I struggle to see how a TPS could work:/

Also,

Honda magna 3rd gen had it too. I can't see it doing much except altering ignition timing between closed throttle and full open shown by the manual. Probably emissions and a slight increase in throttle crispness because the ecu /ignition module should control spark mostly.

Wish we could have explanation from engineers

· Registered
726 Posts
Geo, unfortunately I'm no expert on combustion engines.

Reactions: Geo Smith

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Parts are here!

I need to install and set the float height.

I've seen the instructions in the service manual, but the picture is less than helpful, as usual lol.

It looks like the measurement is taken from the bowl mating surface to the "heel"? of the float closest to the needle valve/float pin/hinge.

With the carb tilted so the float tang is just touching the needle spring loaded damper And the needle is fully seated. Sound correct?

· Registered
1,607 Posts
The float height is taken from the furthest point from the axle/float needle valve from the top of the float to the carb flange. This is a picture from one of my old Honda CV carbs but the principle is the same.

In this picture the needle valve is on the left

Reactions: jstehman
41 - 60 of 104 Posts