Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

· Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been gone for a while since selling my 2007 SV650S, now I've picked up a naked 2001.

Fuel overflows out of the rear carb and the front is dry as a bone. Still fires and runs, mostly on rear cylinder, she's not happy about it but runs.

Tank is pretty dang rusty and I'm surprised there's not holes through yet.

Brakes need complete overhaul, the rear locked when we unloaded her.

Incoming parts. Fuel line for rear carb, orings for float seats and choke plungers and carb bowls. Gasket for petcock.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,759 Posts
Whoa. You've got your hands full. I'm going to enjoy watching your progress. Don't forget to acid and line the tank. Your carbs will love you for it. Wheel color is fabulous.

· Registered
1,602 Posts
Get a carb service kit and change the float needle valves and their base/filters and then you can reset the Float heights which may be part of your problems.

HTH :)

Reactions: jstehman

· Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes wheel color is fabulous I actually dig the matte spray bomb with the wheel color underneath there is beautiful red tank. Plan on doing vinegar soak for a few days then switch to evaporust.

99.9% positive the float seats are full of rust. The gas is yellowed and has that nasty smell.

Hoping to get the carbs off this weekend, I'll be sure to post pics

Is the seal for the low fuel sensor bung available? The fiches I've seen don't list it separate, but I'm sure there is someone who figured out a part that works that's available

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,602 Posts
Whilst your are working use the forum search for info on the ,"Choke Plungers" and remove them and check for corrosion and that they operate correctly. They are a common fault spot when the carbs have been left un-serviced especially the front one that whose screws can get corroded in from rain and road debris over time.

Reactions: jstehman

· Registered
2001 Suzuki SV650S
24 Posts
Looks like a fun a and awesome project. Enjoy and share the pictures as you go!
I’m doing the same thing with an ‘01 that wasn’t run for 4+ years. Already purchased a fuel valve, fuel pump, carb rebuild kit. Hopefully I can attach pictures of the bowls removed. Waiting on an ultrasonic bath
Wood Font Metal Paint Handgun holster
Wood Font Metal Paint Handgun holster
cleaner to disassemble the carbs.
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Auto part Metal

Attachments

· Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,759 Posts
I’m doing the same thing with an ‘01 that wasn’t run for 4+ years.
That carb is nasty. Welcome to SVR and good luck. Here's a sumary of the responses you'll receive here:

Strat: Check the coil wires, float levels and the choke.
RecoilRob: Check the valve clearance.
Skywalker: Fix one thing at a time.
Drewski: Get a Ninja 250.
TeeRiver: Hang in there Michael, you're getting close.
Geo: Check the tank for rust.
Mad8: Part out the piece of shit.
Correct Mad8 response: part out that piece of shit (no caps no punctuation)

· Registered
1,602 Posts
I’m doing the same thing with an ‘01 that wasn’t run for 4+ years. Already purchased a fuel valve, fuel pump, carb rebuild kit. Hopefully I can attach pictures of the bowls removed. Waiting on an ultrasonic bath cleaner to disassemble the carbs.
Get a sonic cleaner,

eBay Sonic Cleaner Bath

· Registered
2001 Suzuki SV650S
24 Posts
Thanks very much for the summary Geo! Choke plungers are good and no corrosion whatsoever. Bad fuel and a nasty light brown sludge/slurry drained from the tank. From what I can see in the tank with the fuel valve removed, there doesn't appear to be rust. I rinsed the tank several times until clean fuel came out but I'll put a filter in place between the valve and fuel pump. However, the light brown sludge/slurry made it's way all the way to the carbs as the pictures show. I think the white stuff is aluminum oxide. A heated ultrasonic bath is on order. I can't even get the float pins out due to the corrosion. Hopefully the ultrasonic bath will work so I can at least disassemble the carbs. Otherwise, I'll be in the market for used carbs. Thanks for the help everyone!

· Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,759 Posts
I'll put a filter in place between the valve and fuel pump.
The filter won't protect your carbs from tank rust. And you do have rust in the tank. Slosh around a gallon of B-12 in the tank and let it sit overnight. Here's what I found, and I also did not see any rust in the tank.
Tableware Liquid Drinkware Dishware Ingredient

· Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,759 Posts
It's rust. And you will fight carb issues ad infinitum until you get rid of it and line your tank with POR15. I fought mine for two months and three carb rebuilds until I addressed the rust. That was a year ago, and she's been purring ever since.

· Registered
2001 Suzuki SV650S
24 Posts
I reviewed the POR15 motorcycle fuel tank repair kit process. More of the reviews were positive with a few negative. Assuming I go this route, is there any advice beyond the POR15 instructions that I should be aware of? I'm a bit concerned with the complete removal of the water/cleaning solution mix and rinsing the tank with water and allowing it to completely dry. Flash rusting will likely occur depending on the time between the steps. TIA

· Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,759 Posts
What I did:
  1. Shook with a gallon of B12, let sit over night​
  2. Rinsed with soap and water​
  3. Rinsed with phosphoric acid. It inhibits flash rust​
  4. Let it dry for 2 days​
  5. Treated with POR 15​
  6. Let it dry forever​

· Registered
03' 04' sv 650
38 Posts
What I did:
  1. Shook with a gallon of B12, let sit over night​
  2. Rinsed with soap and water​
  3. Rinsed with phosphoric acid. It inhibits flash rust​
  4. Let it dry for 2 days​
  5. Treated with POR 15​
  6. Let it dry forever​
Let it dry with no humidity, it will flashrust immediately, ask me how i know 🥲
Rn my bike is drying inside cause its to cold and wet outside

· Registered
1,602 Posts
I can't even get the float pins out due to the corrosion. Hopefully the ultrasonic bath will work so I can at least disassemble the carbs. Otherwise, I'll be in the market for used carbs. Thanks for the help everyone!
Find or cut down an old plastic container like an old Gallon oil Bottle and half fill it with clean diesel fuel and leave the carb/s soaking in it. It should free up any corroded pins/jets etc :)

1 - 20 of 97 Posts