Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to the forum and am looking at two bikes for sale locally , and need a bit of help with some comparison, I have done a fair bit of research between a 1st and 2nd gen sv650, both have been for sale recently and am interested if anyone has some perspective on pros and cons of the bikes one is an 01, with 20k, and one is 07, with 10k just looking for a bit of knowledge by some expierenced riders as I am new to motorcycling ,thank you for any help 馃榾

Registered
Whichever one looks to have been maintained the best. I would take 20 year old well maintained bike over a 14 year old bike that was not well maintained.

Either would be a fine starter bike that still will be fun enough to grow into. Just take it easy with the throttle / revs until you get a little experience.

Registered
If they both have been equally well maintained I'd go for the 2nd gen model. It does not have the common issues of the 1st gen (unprotected front spark plug can lead to SV325 problem when wet [remedy is fender extender], regulator/rectifier prone to fail, green connector issue) and electronic fuel injection means no maintenance on carbs. Plus, parts are easier to come by I think.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help 馃檪
How new are you?

Is this going to be your first cycle?
My first purchased one yes, I have expierence on friends bikes some years ago and have been riding bicycles and scooters in the city for Years , but this will be MY first bike

Registered
I'll vote for the 2nd Gen as a daily-rider.

Less messing around with an '07 if it's your only one.

I think the 1st Gens make more interesting project or custom cycles though.
I agree Jay. As a matter of fact I have been stumbling across a few too many shockingly well-kept TL1000s here in SoCal that have me thinking "project" even though I don't have time for those anymore. There is a definite aesthetic to the 1st gen that is absent from the 2nd, and carbs are very conducive to customizing.
That being said, I vote 2nd over 1st. If I were looking I would be buying a 3rd Gen just because they're all the same-ish anyway. Newer will generally be cheaper in the long run unless you buy a heap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts