Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

The Hun's SV here.   I'm looking to get a SV & make it a dedicated track day bike.  I feel that an svs version would be a better option for track days b/c it already has clip-ons & a fairing.  I've found a couple of 01's& 02's as well as two 05's.  These bikes are pretty much stock & i'll be adding new suspension asap to the front & rear as well as some gearing & exhaust/jetting options.  Basically, I just want to know from ya'll the pros & cons of each generation & which one would make the better track day bike.  Thx in advance for the replies.  L8r, Attila ;D

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
cost is a big factor. you can obviously find first gens for cheaper than second gens. i just picked up a 2002 sv for 1800 off ebay for my tracker. it'll get some new bodywork slapped on, and eventually I'll do some suspension work.

check wera's boards. right after i bought mine, someone offered me their 2002 sv for 1800 as well. some title issues so it's a track only and i think he was in ohio.

·
Registered
505 Posts
If it's just track days, and not racing for Suzuki money, then I'd go with a first gen for the reasons listed previously as well. You can get into a great track day bike for a very reasonable cost going with an older model.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
i wouldn't use the fairing as a good reason to use an SVS as opposed to an SV. a dedicated track bike is guaranteed to crash and you'll be better off with aftermarket fairings like sharkskinz rather than OEM fairings on the track.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would vote for the Gen1 for track days, racing Gen2 has the power.
Now, I have never taken a Gen2 out on the track but, I have heard from a couple of the racers up here that they perfer the handling of the Gen1 over the Gen2.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The 1st Gen's are much nicer to look at ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stranger said:
cost is a big factor. you can obviously find first gens for cheaper than second gens. i just picked up a 2002 sv for 1800 off ebay for my tracker. it'll get some new bodywork slapped on, and eventually I'll do some suspension work.

check wera's boards. right after i bought mine, someone offered me their 2002 sv for 1800 as well. some title issues so it's a track only and i think he was in ohio.
i'm pretty active on both the wera & nesba boards & i've never seen sv'd for that cheap. do ya still have any info on the 02 sv in ohio for cheap? thx, AL

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx for all the replies gang. i found an sv on my zrxoa boards but passed on it. i've also found a salvaged 05' for cheap & started to think about going that route. i agree that the 1st gens are better looking & had also heard that the frames were better. i just needed to hear it from the experts. if anyone has any leads on sv's in the southeast, point'em in my direction. thx again 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts