Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello wonderful SV Riders,

I've had this gorgeous bike for a bit over a year now, and it's brought me lovely headaches, one after another.

In a nutshell, I've been working on my carbs, I first had a leak through the overflow tubes from the front carb, replaced the needle, filter, rubber o rings and rubber gasket. Cleaned the carbs a bit (brought to a mechanic but he said they were clean!), and put it back together. Ran well but...

This time, a different leak, from the drain at the bottom of the bowl. I figured I must've messed up the drain screws, so I ordered new ones and put em in yesterday.

Still freakin leaks :(

I was hoping not to have to take the float bowls apart again. Is there something I can do to plug it? I don't foresee having to drain the floats again that way, so I wouldn't mind.

Any help would be appreciated!! I hope I didn't crack that copper tube in the bowl, I've seen videos on hairline cracks, and it would need a new float shell(?) which is another question/challenge in itself.

Thanks for your time!!! P

·
Registered
Suzuki SV650S 2001, Yellow
9 Posts
Mine were just doing this the other day. I put my new float bowl drain screws in and tightened them up, but got some serious leaking out of the front float bowl drain. (Very similar looking to yours).

My solution was to just get in there with an allen wrench and tighten it up some more. I doubt that will help you because you probably aren't a dingus like I am. But It's always worth a check that they're all the way tightened in.

Otherwise, I do suppose that you could do any number of things to plug it up. I would personally avoid doing anything permanent like solder or JB weld though. I like to be able to undo things.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Have you used a Carb service kit?

I did a full service on my carbs last year and with new Float needle valves the the Floats returned to the correct level. Check the Float heights as per the WSM and reset if necessary.

Once al done they will most likely need re-balancing as per,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine were just doing this the other day. I put my new float bowl drain screws in and tightened them up, but got some serious leaking out of the front float bowl drain. (Very similar looking to yours).

My solution was to just get in there with an allen wrench and tighten it up some more. I doubt that will help you because you probably aren't a dingus like I am. But It's always worth a check that they're all the way tightened in.

Otherwise, I do suppose that you could do any number of things to plug it up. I would personally avoid doing anything permanent like solder or JB weld though. I like to be able to undo things.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I wish it was that easy!! HAH!

Notice the hairline crack in there? Apparently I made it bigger when I screwed in the bolt the previous time I saw the leak. Damn aluminum!!

So since I really don't need to drain it from there, and don't want to scavenge the internet for another bowl, i just JB welded the drain hole 🤓 😅

I think it'll work out perfectly fine and hoping that crack doesn't get any bigger since it was only on the inside, it should be fine!

The season is near, and i'm all done working on this carb 😶🙃

Have you used a Carb service kit?

I did a full service on my carbs last year and with new Float needle valves the the Floats returned to the correct level. Check the Float heights as per the WSM and reset if necessary.

Once al done they will most likely need re-balancing as per,

Yeah i replaced the float needles, the filter, the gaskets and the levels were good, it was just leaking from the drain hole.

I appreciate your input!!! Hoping for the best hehe

Thanks !

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You could use a smear of twin-pack metal bond in the hairline crack? So long as it's let to cure properly.

·
Registered
Suzuki SV650S 2001, Yellow
9 Posts
Hey, thanks for your reply. I wish it was that easy!! HAH!
You're more than welcome! I was surprised it worked, but ended up just ordering some new drain screws in the interim.
Also, while I was waiting for my new drain hole screws, I did the exact same thing with my drain holes. Great minds think alike. I mean I really thought I was looking at my carb float cover when I saw your JB weld job 🤴

1 - 6 of 6 Posts