Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I road race my first Gen SV and do A LOT of track days every year. I have had my forks apart and back together MANY MANY TIMES!

I wondering if someone has a picture of there modified stock fork Damper rod that I can take a look at to see if mine is done correctly.

I brazed over the little pin hole on the Damper Rods. What else needs to be done to the Damper rods?

I now have .90 springs, emulators at 4.5 turns in, 20 weight oil and pre load adjusters.

Besides the Damper Rods I think I'm sitting pretty for stock forks.

Help a guy out with some pictures of the Damper Rod.

Thanks

Nick

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I'd search by user, TWF is one of the resident experts on the topic. I mod'd my damper rods as per his reccomendations. He suggests drilling the existing holes (I forget how big) but not adding any new holes. And yes, brazing the rebound hole shut like you did.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I believe he recommends a 3/8 drill bit for the four existing compression holes. I think 4.5 turns on the emulators is a lot, standard recommendation is 3.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I don't know, maybe they come that way if you buy them from RaceTech. 2 turns for street, 3 for track is what Traxxion told me.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
If you drilled two more holes.... (like I did on my first set of damper rods) you did it wrong...  4 holes, enlaged to a 10mm bit I believe.  Ehhh... I forget what I did... but it was per his recommendations.

I am running Traxxion 20wt oil (the best....) 1.0 kg.mm springs, 3 turns on the emulators and JB Welded rebound hole, 4 holes on the damper rod drilled out. So far it's held for 10k miles...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
wacky_woodchuck said:
I am running  Traxxion 20wt oil (the best....) 
Why do you say that? Do you know if it's different from normal Maxima? I like Traxxion and all but $7 + $7 shipping when all I need is a quart of oil is annoying.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not drill more holes in the Damper Rods, I left them alone and brazed over the little hole.

You guys are saying to make them bigger? What will this accomplish? How will drilling the holes larger make the front suspension better?

I have the emulators at 4.5 turns because I was getting too much rebound at the recommended 3 turns. I didn't even realize I was doing it, but I was trail braking mid corner to keep the front end planted. Now the front end seams to stay more planted when I'm railed over, less trail braking is needed to keep the front planted and I can carry more corner speed.

When I'm in the pits and push down on the front end I want the front to NOT BOUNCE AT ALL. It got alot better with turning in the Emulator, but it still bounces a little bit.

You guys following me?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The number of turns on the emulator shouldn't affect the rebound. You might try a thicker fork oil if it is too quick.

Drilling bigger holes allows the emulator to control the compression damping instead of the damper rod. So it can soak up bumps better.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
NOsquid said:
Why do you say that? Do you know if it's different from normal Maxima? I like Traxxion and all but $7 + $7 shipping when all I need is a quart of oil is annoying.
All I know is that it is a proprietary blend developed by Maxima/Traxxion for Traxxion's SV Rider's.... Works great for me... I've tried a few other brands and didn't like them... Too thin... But it's all personel prefrence.

G

·
once you install emulator you want to open existing holes so they dont work any more.emulator will control damping from here.10-11mm is what works good.
rebound is controled only by weight of oil.maxima made bland for traxxion and that is oil they using and oil I use.it is 20W but you can't compare it to other 20W oils out there.they are all different.you have to choose one brand and stick with it,you can change weight of oil but dont change brand.you get more consistent resoults.
I dont think it has to come from traxxion necesary but I am not sure if Max is ordering something specific either,best ask them if maxima in stores is exact same they use.also you are not locked in to maxima,you can use anything you want.
every suspension shop chooses oil they work with and do valving accordingly.that way they know exactly where they are and consistency is there.
2.5-3 turns is normal range on emulators used.

G

·
forgot.if you dont open holes you will have hydraulic lock at some point.there is only so much oil that can flow through hole.

G

·
avc8130 said:
Zoran,
I was checking out maxima's website and see they only advertise up to 15wt oil. When you set up my forks a few years ago you gave me some for oil. Its time for me to rebuild my forks and I was wondering where I could get some more of that oil? Is the only place to get it from Traxxion or you?
Thanks,
ac
was it maxima?I think back than we did not have that maxima and we were mixing blend to get right weight.
just call traxxion and get some.you need 2 quarts.your oil level is 125.

G

·
I realy dont know if they have it localy,ask dealer.
I buy oil by cases and it comes from traxxion.
since I dont do many stock forks(everybody here is on gsxr forks)I dont keep that oil in stock or resell.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What exactly should I do to my damper rods? What size holes should I drill the existing holes out to? I have the really small hole brazed, is this correct?

I weigh 180lbs with all my gear on. How many turns should I have my emulators at?

I have .90 race tech springs.

I am going to use Spectro 20 weight fork oil.

Any thing else please let me know.

All the responses are greatly appreciated.

Nick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.