Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 SV 650 that I’ve owned since new and when I moved from South Florida to Northern Illinois 4 years ago the movers did something to it to prep for the trip and when they arrived it started for a minute or two then died and wouldn’t restart. Due to other circumstances it’s been sitting in my garage for 4 years without being started or ridden. It cranks fine but won’t start, I’ve kept a charger on it and even replaced the battery when my old charger died. So now it’s finally time to get it running.

I’m guessing at a minimum I need to rebuild the carbs and dump the old gas. What’s the best carb rebuild kit to get nowadays? Also, I changed the mains from 147.5 to I think 152.5 and the needle jets up one size, I think from 15 to 17.5. It has a Renegade slip on exhaust on it. Stock filter.

Also, the gas cap won’t open. The key turns about 45°, but won’t go the 90° to release the latch. It feels like I’ll bend or break the key before it turns if I use more force. Any thoughts on how to best deal with that?

·
Registered
512 Posts
As for the key, try a little graphite to loosen up the mechanism and be careful.
I wouldn't bother with a rebuild kit. Just take apart the carbs and clean. Clean. CLEAN. And then clean them again. It takes experience to clean carbs so this is more for you than the carbs themselves. You just won't get everything blown out the first time. Google a lot, figure out how to use thin copper wire to clean out the orifices, use toothpaste on the needle, clean the tank, and use your critical thinking skills (not everything is answered via the internet!). Just remember that the carbs must be perfect to work perfectly. A hanging idle means you did it wrong but that's part of the process.
Good luck!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I’ve cleaned these carbs 3 or 4 times over the years, so it’s not a problem. I’m expecting the gaskets and orings will need to be replaced though. Sometimes it’s easier just to replace the mains vs cleaning them, although I think the kits will come with stock sized jets. My needles are shimmed too I just remembered.

I tried graphite already, but I’ll keep at it. Maybe a rubber mallet on the key might loosen things up.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ah good, I'm glad you've been down this road before! Lately folks have been asking questions that make me think they don't even know what a carb does 🙄
As to your original question, I'm of no help. I've always just ordered new orings from a parts supplier once I find the size I need. I typically just replace them on carb bikes every few years. Since I got the '07 though I've just had FI so I've been spoiled.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately when I moved my mityvac and my mercury carb balancers disappeared so those might need to be bought again, I’ll see how it goes.

I saw an allsballs carb kit with everything for $50 on Amazon. They are probably stock sized mains and needle jets though. I’ve used Allsballs in the past for bearings and stuff and quality was always good.

·
Registered
2002 SV650
3 Posts
I just used a allsballs kit about a month ago and it worked fine. My gas cap does something similar I put a little downward pressure with my other hand and it turns the rest of the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts