Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
You don't keep the bike on two wheels long enough to take advantage of it. Give it to me for $20. ;)

·
Registered
737 Posts
::)

The Brembo master cylinders are supposed to be great.

I'm about to install a 19X18 on my SV, and that's because of what I've heard: Apparently the 19X20 is VERY touchy. You are supposed to be able to stand the thing on its front wheel just by applying pressure to the lever. This apparently also contributes to less feel. The 19X18 gives you more lever travel and more feel along with it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
19x20 is what we use at the SVRaceShop, we keep them in stock. Great feel and power. Buy it and be happy!!!

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I'm using a 16xsomethingorother Brembo radial from a dirt bike and i really like the result... I didn't like 19x20 on any bike I've ridden with them fitted, but that's a matter of taste.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Maritan said:
I'm about to install a 19X18 on my SV, and that's because of what I've heard: Apparently the 19X20 is VERY touchy. You are supposed to be able to stand the thing on its front wheel just by applying pressure to the lever. This apparently also contributes to less feel. The 19X18 gives you more lever travel and more feel along with it.
WHAT?

Get off the drugs son before it does permanent damage...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Maritan said:

The Brembo master cylinders are supposed to be great.

Nah, you gotta try both and then see how they feel different, it not like you heard. The 19x20 is modulated more by PRESSURE on the lever while the 19x18 is modulated more by TRAVEL in the lever, but it's all or nothing, just the mix between pressure and travel. Neither is better, it's personal preference. I like the 19x20 with the Gixxer front end myself.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the 19* 18 on mine and love it. Very noticeable upgrade. You will loose the brake light switch and can be replaced with a Goodrich pressure switch easily. I changed (today) to the Brembo adapter for a microswitch today, as with my calipers I wasn't getting the brake lights on, unless under VERY heavy braking. Certainly I can now stand the bike on it's nose at any speed with one finger.

You will also need a reservoir and tubing to go between the two. You should also use a Brembo banjo which is slightly shorter in the threads, although an extra crush washer works well on a standard length banjo. All the Brembo fittings are 6mm, instead of the Suzuki 8mm, I use the clear tubing from Yoyodyneti, but it's expensive at $8 a foot. Everything you need can be had from http://yoyodyneti.com/

You may wish to consider a 19* 18 radial from a 999/749. This has a built in reservoir, and microswitch, and comes in for around $220, much less than the nearly $400 I have invested in my 19*18 at this point. http://www.yoyodyneti.com/detail.aspx?ID=1716

Andy

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
OK, for a guy that knows a lot about a lot, I can also admit that I don't know everything. So, enlighten me, what is so special about the radial MC's?? I have had tons of people tell me to get one, but what exactly makes them that much better than the stock MC??

·
Registered
93 Posts
DougZ said:
OK, for a guy that knows a lot about a lot, I can also admit that I don't know everything. So, enlighten me, what is so special about the radial MC's?? I have had tons of people tell me to get one, but what exactly makes them that much better than the stock MC??
Two things

#1 Larger bore, gives a "softer" feel at the lever
#2 Better mechanically. The piston is directly connected to the lever, unlike a regular MC where there is an elbow on the lever that depresses the piston.

Andy

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
andy4us said:
Two things

#1 Larger bore, gives a "softer" feel at the lever
#2 Better mechanically. The piston is directly connected to the lever, unlike a regular MC where there is an elbow on the lever that depresses the piston.

Andy
Ah ha..OK, well that makes total sense for the better feel, for sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Also, less flex in the lever- plus, these (and practically any other aftermarket m/c) are really built to a massively higher standard than the stock kit. And these are the cheaper Brembos :) Little things in the design set them apart too- the one I use has the banjo underneath the piston, instead of beside it as in the SV's MC. This means there's no potential for air bubbles in the unions as there is stock. Simple yet very effective. Add in an inbuilt bleed nipple in the m/c body itself and it's easier to get a perfect result when bleeding.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Northwind said:
Also, less flex in the lever- plus, these (and practically any other aftermarket m/c) are really built to a massively higher standard than the stock kit. And these are the cheaper Brembos :) Little things in the design set them apart too- the one I use has the banjo underneath the piston, instead of beside it as in the SV's MC. This means there's no potential for air bubbles in the unions as there is stock. Simple yet very effective. Add in an inbuilt bleed nipple in the m/c body itself and it's easier to get a perfect result when bleeding.
Cool, great to know that too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.