Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
11K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Eduardogf1 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello i just bought an sv 650 and i havent gotten the chance of hearing on since i bought it, whats happening is I don't have spark and i do have fuel but it isnt getting spark to the plug, checked the fuses theyre good (replaced just in case) also replaced the spark plugs for new ngk cr8e no luck. It cranks but it doesn't start not even with starting fluid. The thing is that the starter button is broken so im by passing it, will that affect? Also my clutch lever is broken so i dont have a way to press it. It does crank anyways. Will those two things affect in getting it started? Below is a video i would really appreciate if you guys help me out!
Also the bike is with the side stand does this bike has to have without the stand in order for the motorcycle to have spark? TRIED with and without the stand still nothing
Update: spark plug boots give 12.5volts both of them but no spark still

Attachments

See less See more
1 2
#2 ·
Check to be sure there is 12v at both terminals (+) and (-) on both ignition coils, front and rear.

If the coils have power but still no spark then could be the ignitor unit has failed.

If you are bypassing the ignition switch could also be the 100 ohm security resistor is missing.

Third possibility is the crank position sensor is bad but that is a rare failure.

#5 · (Edited)
Hopefully it isnt the ignitor Unit, is there a way to check it?
There is no easy way to bench test the ignitor. The only way to test it is install it in a working bike, see if you get spark. You could also install a known good ignitor in you bike but that test is less conclusive and potentially risky to the donor unit.

What did the seller say when you bought the bike? Did you get any history?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.