Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is the story of a bike that might have been junked, but was resurected into a nice looking SVS.

Most people are taking an S bike and making it Naked. This bike went the other way. It was a 1999 naked bike, and now its a fully implemented S bike, complete with S gauges, mirrors, and all the stock S bike items, but with lots of custom mods as well.

Ok, I can't take credit for all the work on this bike. My friend Pete over at GSB did a lot of the early work on this bike. He bought the bike as a salvage titled bike that came down from up north. He sourced a full S-front front fairing set along with matching tank and tail fairings. He also found a K1 GSXR1000 front end complete. The front end came off Chris Bakers original SV/MV project (well known over at BARF as Tygaboy) and was modded to mount directly in the SV neck with no Zoran bearing mod. Basically, the original SV stem was pressed out, machined and pressed into the GSXR lower. Steering stops were welded and machined, and a spacer was pressed into the top clamp. Then it mounts using all the original SV hardware.

Pete stuck with the naked setup with respect to the wiring and gauges. He gave up working on the bike with the gauges simply zip tied to the fairing stay. Since it didn't have the dash cover, he didn't need to change the control cables out. They had a lot of room to move. Lots of ugly wires beneath though. He also used hardware store bolts/screws to mount up all the fairings. It was mostly phillips head stuff, so that had to go. Pete also left the original bent subframe on the bike because it didn't bother him. Well, it bothered me ;)

I took over and attempted to make the bike look 'finished'. I sourced a set of S gauges, proper mounting grommets and hardware, a full S model harness, S model gauge sub-harness, an S-model dash cover, OEM S mirrors/hardware, S-throttle cables, S-clutch cable, inner fairing stay covers, OEM fairing screws, and a straight subframe. I also sourced some TL-S clipons, bar ends, new grips, new brake lines, a ZX636 shock, a color matched rear seat cowl, and a lot of little small parts.

I'll link a lot of photos here. Some are Pete's, some are mine. It will give a good idea of how things progressed.

Bike in original naked state:

The bike was in poor shape, rusted, bent sub frame, forks from a ZX6 (?), no gauges, etc, etc. But, it had a full M4 system that was in great shape, the frame was solid, it had some nice OSF rearsets, and it ran pretty good, but the jetting was off. Pete found a set of '02 carbs that had been gone through and fitted with a Dynojet Stage 1 kit. He simply swapped them out and found that it ran much better.

It was pretty much stripped down and fitted with new tank and plastics along with the GSXR front end.

Front fairing stay and S fairings/headlight installed.

Fitted with naked gauges that were (don't laugh) zip tied to the fairing stay!

Front wheel and brakes from GSXR1000.

F3 rear wheel using Zoran spacers/bearings.

Pete rode the bike like this for about 2 years and probably racked up over 5000 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok that brings us to the work I did. When I bought the bike, it also needed new tires, a Regulator, and it needed to be caught up on maintenance.
We will start with the small stuff (I was waiting for some of the major parts to come in).
TL clipons:

Top clamp removed, ready to take off GSXR clipons and replace with TL clipons.

Fresh paint for the top clamp. I rushed this and may go back to do a better job sometime.

TL clip-ons installed, but brake lines too short! That was a surprise.
This photo also shows some of the jumble of wires that were visible with the original Naked wiring harness that was hacked to fit the hall effect sensor, the 2nd headlamp, and the marker light.

While waiting for parts, I retrofitted a CBR1000 regulator to fit stock SV plugs.

I also swapped out the original harness for a full S harness w/gauge-headlight subharness, temporarily fitted the S gauges (couldn't finish because of missing rubber grommets), and fitted the new brake lines. This photo shows the 3-wires from the hall effect sensor. These were left unfinished and spliced into the naked harness.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted the hall effect to look finished and plug into the harness unhacked.
Thanks to Tony SV650 (a forum member), I was able to get an original Speedo cable that I could solder/heat shrink to the hall effect sensor wires.

Here is what it looked like when I got it:

A little work on the SV cable, some stripping, soldering and heat shrink:

and we have this:

I also re-fitted the S-gauges with cool white 3-SMT LEDs while I was waiting. They look pretty good at night:

After waiting for a week or so, I finally got all the parts to finish the s-gauge convert, which included all the faring screws, new bar ends, S-model control cables, the rubber bushings for the gauge mount, etc.

Still need the captured 'nuts' that go between the dash cover and the faring.

S throttle cables tuck in nicely. Unfortunately, the previous combination of running Naked cables and GSXR clipons cause a few scratches on the top of the R side fairing. I can live with them I guess.

Inner fairing stay covers are nice to have

Wiring is nearly invisible now:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Stripped down, ready for new subframe and ZX636 shock. (It had an SRAD shock that was well past its prime)

After some cleaning, etc. The shock is in!

Ready for subframe, too bad the first one I bought off Ebay was bent nearly as bad as the one I tried to replace.

Waited another 2 weeks to get a straight subframe.
Might as well put in a new barnett clutch:

UPS delivers the subrame! Finally can get somewhere now:

CBR regulator looks at home:

Rear end back together (at about 2AM):

Yes, those are rear signals from an R6. I might change those out at some point, but they actually look pretty decent with the curvy bodywork.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The front fender was chipped and showing yellow paint (leftover from Tygaboys work). I had to strip down, primer and repaint.

I'd show the finished, but I still have to buff the fender. It had to cure for 7 days, and I decided to just mount it on the bike and wait.
I also sanded, primed and repainted the gas cap to all satin black using chemically resistant wheel paint. You can see the results in some of the finished photos below.

That brings us to where she is today:

So, despite this bike having a rough past, virtually everything that was wrong with the bike before has been replaced or restored. The bike looks extremely clean for a 10 year old bike. Mechanically the bike is top notch. I thought about going through the carbs and re-jetting, but it runs so great right now, I don't think its worth it. The combination of the full M4, the re-jet, a desnorkeled K&N, and 1cm spacers under the tank make this bike pull strongly from 3k all the way to redline with no stumbles. I guess the carbs that Pete bought were jetted pretty close to ideal. The combination of the GSXR1k front end, and the ZX shock in the rear provide a very smooth, yet controlled ride. Excellent grip comes from the Power Pilots in the front and rear (which is a 180 complements of the F3 wheel), excellent stopping power from the GSXR brakes as well. All of this in a bike that looks like a factory edition S model. I've always loved the look of the half-faired 1st gen, and the candy grand blue was my favorite color. This bike combines both of them into something that was not available in 1999.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little update. Over the weekend, I took the fender back off and wet sanded a few spots, then buffed/polished and waxed it. It looks great.

Next up, refinish the front wheel and the center sections of the brake rotors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts