Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into getting a Ninja 250 to teach my brother on and came across one of these for $700. Granted it's 20 years old so there's gotta be some issues. I was thinking about offering him $400-500 for it. What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
7,091 Posts
I've always liked those - except for the paint scheme. I could see one all red like a VFR.

They had a bit more low-end torque than the Ninja, and bit bit less top-end pull. Nicer to ride on the street than the early Ninjas because of it.

The inboard disc (like in the picture above) was discontinued after a year or so.

I've seen beat ones for a lot more ($1500-$2000!) around here, but right now everyone thinks they have something special worth 2 grand...

For the price, I'd do it unless it's totally trashed.

Jay

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Low ball. Find faults with the bike and act like you are also considering a different bike elsewhere. Low ball, then work from there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I called the guy up and there's a couple guys taking a look at it. It'll probably be sold by the time it's my turn, plus it's a far ways to go to check out the bike and not come back with anything.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright I just spoke with the guy through email and he says he got the bike running but flooded the engine after the second startup. I'm thinking the carbs need to be cleaned and maybe even a rebuild. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'd say if it will crank and does'nt burn oil go for it...but thats just me, I don't mind something I have to work on, great way to figure out any quirks and details.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright from what he's told me I'm thinking this is what is needed:

Tires
Rebuild petcock
Carb cleaning
battery
chain
sprocket?
Rectifier/Regulator are common to replace

Sounds like its a work in progress, I'm gonna offer him $400.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
First street bike I ever owned. Great bike. ***** to find parts for though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts