Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2002 SVS about 3 months ago as the third owner of the bike. The second owner hadn't done much to the bike by way of modifications, but it seems the first owner did. The second owner had no idea what was done to it, and hence couldn't pass that info on to me. One of the things I've noticed is that there is a 180 Pilot Power mounted on the stock rear rim. From reading this board, I was under the impression that this was not possible. I have no idea how they got the bastard on there, but they did, and I'm stuck with it. I haven't had any problems so far, and the tire has alot of tread left and looks really cool, so I'd like to avoid scrapping it if possible. So, my question is - am i putting myself in alot of extra danger by riding with this setup? I can post pictures if they would be useful. Thanks for your help. - Andre

J

·
0 Posts
I believe that a 180 is a bad choice because to much of the tire is pinched. I have heard that you shouldn't go bigger then a 170 on a stock rim. I will let those more knowledgeable post as to why.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bet it does look sweet.. how about a pic?

I don't know enough about tires and what you should do to comment on the safety/non-safety of it..

The sv1k has a 180.. is it possible they got the rear wheel from one of those and installed?

or is that even possible?

I bet this is a newb question.. but hey.. can't hide what I am.. hehe.. is that possible?

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
i'd like to see a pic too, i couldn't imagine the effort it must have taken to put that tire on :eek:, how much tread do you have?, and please post a pic, email me with it if you can't post pics ro go here for instructions http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=44825.0

·
Registered
419 Posts
Look at the spokes on the wheel, one will tell you how wide the wheel is (ie. 17x4.5). If it's a 4.5" wheel then that's not safe. I would go back to a 160 tire.

J

·
0 Posts
From what ive been told that max that is safe for a 4.5 rim is a 170. However i would think that even a 170 would get pinched.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I finally got some batteries for my digicam, so here are some pictures. It was hard to get a picture that conveys how far the tire goes past the plane of the rim, but these are a start.

View from the top - should give you a sense of how much the tire is spilling out over the rim.

View from the back.

General badassitude.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would take it off personally as it is beyond what is generally accepted.  A 170 is even a stretch on the 4.5" wheel.

Then again you probably are not gonna kill yourself either so if you want to just wear the tire off during everyday commuting then you would be fine with that too.

J

·
0 Posts
Really nice looking bike. But i dont know if i would ride on that tire. Since you have ridden on it how does it ride/handle and do you have any worries or concerns?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
it looks just like a 160 to me.. cuz its so pinched on the rim

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I vote you take through a 100mph sweeping turn and see if you can get the tire to come off the rim. 8)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought my bike with a 180 tire on it, too. What are the symptoms of riding with too wide of a rear tire? Doesn't handle as good? My tires will need replacing soon, so I guess I'll go back to a 160... even though the 180 looks pretty damn cool ;)

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
NorCal Newbie said:
I bought my bike with a 180 tire on it, too. What are the symptoms of riding with too wide of a rear tire? Doesn't handle as good? My tires will need replacing soon, so I guess I'll go back to a 160... even though the 180 looks pretty damn cool ;)
Try putting your bike side by side with any modern 600 supersport (that comes with a 180) and you will see the signifigant difference between 180 on stock sv 4.5 rim and proper 5.5 rim. SV rim makes the tire look smaller because its pinched.

A tire thats too big for a rim will have a smaller contact patch because the profile of the tire is so pinched, thus giving you less traction and odd steering characteristics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts