Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone already replaced their brake pads using those from older models? Can you list those compatible for our 3rd gen? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also chew through your rotors quicker, I guess there's always a trade off.
What do you recommend?

Also, is it possible if my brakes are already needing replacement even when I only got less than 7000 kms / 4300 mi on them? Fairly new to bikes so I don't even know if they're already worn out. Mostly use the front tbh, rarely the rear. Eye test tells me they're still good. Maybe the dealership just wanted to get money off of me, IDK...

Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
First, I hardly believe that after 7'000km your pads need replacement.
Either you're doing track days every day, or there must be something terribly wrong with your brakes.
I had 20'000km on my OEM brake pads when I replaced them (mostly because I wanted to improve braking power, therefore moved to braided steel lines and new, sintered, aftermarket brake pads) and they were not even halfway through.

If you have OEM pads is pretty easy to check if they're worn out: check if the groove is still visible, as described in the user manual.

BTW, I too have installed EBC HH FA and they're great. Almost all SV owners that I know of here in Italy use them, and NONE of them reported abnormal disc wear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agree w/Skywalker67, I have had no abnormal disc wear using EBC HH sinter pads. In fact my Honda has 20,000 miles using these EBC pads and discs are fine. I think for the money putting these pads on is great upgrade. As I remember it cost me around $130 for new EBC pads front and rear for my SV650.

·
Registered
36 Posts
FYI. I have less than 2,000 miles on my new 2018 SV650. Front pads are good by the rear pads are looking thin. I ordered the HH EBC and will install this weekend. I have no idea why the stock pads are so thin after such a short time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a '17 and just replaced the front pads with EBC HH Sintered, first ride on them was to work this morning, so far so good but it'll be a few more trips before they're bedded.
Same as the poster above, my fronts were good when they came out, and the rear is past 50% at 8k miles. I think Suzuki probably spec'd an organic pad in the rear to help mitigate locking the back end up under hard braking. At least the pads look like an organic material, and that would be why they are wearing so fast.
A word of caution though, the pads I ordered for the rear do not fit, the support tab opposite the retaining pin is the wrong shape, so be sure to compare yours before you beat your head against a wall wondering why they won't fit. Re-ordered last night from another vendor where the pic of the item actually matches what I have. Not sure where the mix up is because both they all show as compatible. Have to wait and see when they arrive.
Back to the front brakes, interestingly enough the factory pads that came out of the front are stamped as being an HH compound too so it will be interesting to see how they compare before I decide if I want to do brake lines next.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What do you recommend?

Also, is it possible if my brakes are already needing replacement even when I only got less than 7000 kms / 4300 mi on them? Fairly new to bikes so I don't even know if they're already worn out. Mostly use the front tbh, rarely the rear. Eye test tells me they're still good. Maybe the dealership just wanted to get money off of me, IDK...

Thanks!
You'll want a minimum of 2/32 ( about 1.5mm) of material left on the pads. At least that's what my state requires. I feel 2mm of thickness, you should replace them.

Never had an issue with HH brakes eating rotors. I've been running EBC HH on most my stuff for the last 15 years.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I second those pads being fine for rotor life. My GS came stock with sintered pads and even at >40k miles the original rotors still have 50% life left.
Hell, even my car uses a sintered pad compound and the rotors are still good at over 130k miles and it's a mid size crossover that isn't exactly a lightweight sedan. I think if you're eating rotors, then the problem is more likely with the rotor or your brakes are dragging and causing premature wear.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A word of caution though, the pads I ordered for the rear do not fit, the support tab opposite the retaining pin is the wrong shape, so be sure to compare yours before you beat your head against a wall wondering why they won't fit.
Concerning EBC FA HH pads, correct part numbers for Tokico 2-piston calipers installed on 3rd gen. SVs are the following:
- EBC FA229HH (front left caliper)
- EBC FA231HH (front right caliper)
- EBC FA496HH (rear caliper)
these are the part numbers I used to order EBC brake pads, and they all fit nicely.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just put on Galfer HH front and back. They seem fine, but I wouldn't really know cause' I did the pads, lines and rearsets at the same time. Honestly, I think any name-brand will serve you well. Don't overthink it.

I personally don't think any brake system upgrades will improve the sv that much short of caliper replacement and new masters, but what do I know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts