Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • i have a 2007 sv650s and thinking about buying a 520 conversion and running a 17/45 gear and wandering if anyone has any input on this. I ride mostly long distances but dont wanna lose a bunch of acceleration though. I like the power it has now. Will the sv push that gearing and not be a slug getting up to speed? Oh also the bike has a knn filter and M4 slip on and brand new clutch

·
Super Moderator
8,066 Posts
17/45 is like 15/40 so it will be... low rpms on the highway and a bit of a dog from the start. try it, doesnt cost much to swap sprockets

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. Yeah I kinda figured that. IV also never ran a 220 chain.. Any considerable differences?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Go here:
With your setup you'll drop RPMs at 70mph to 4.5k down from 5k and only have 7.7k at 120mph. You'll barely be at the top of the power band while not gaining much top speed as the wind resistance will still limit your 70hp bike to around 125-130mph.

I'd say stick with the stock gearing unless you're going for fuel efficiency and range.

I went the other way (15/47) and still get high mpg, 123mph true top speed while having a much quicker bike off the line.

A 520 chain will be considerably lighter and you'll have more sprocket options. Depending on how well you keep it clean and lubricated it should last nearly as long as the 525 chain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go here:
With your setup you'll drop RPMs at 70mph to 4.5k down from 5k and only have 7.7k at 120mph. You'll barely be at the top of the power band while not gaining much top speed as the wind resistance will still limit your 70hp bike to around 125-130mph.

I'd say stick with the stock gearing unless you're going for fuel efficiency and range.

I went the other way (15/47) and still get high mpg, 123mph true top speed while having a much quicker bike off the line.

A 520 chain will be considerably lighter and you'll have more sprocket options. Depending on how well you keep it clean and lubricated it should last nearly as long as the 525 chain.
Thanks buddy.before they shipped the order I changed it to 16/45 so it wouldnt be a drastic change and I'm gonna see how that works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts