Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am trying to sell my 2000 SV 650, which has 16K on it, it runs awesome no problems ever, no knocking , ticking etc. I have had a few calls from interested buyers and when they ask me about the miles and i tell them it has 16K on it, they get all worried.. So my question is , is 16K high miles on an SV650 (1st gen) from a 2000 model.
I am fairly new to SVs so i am still learning about it from this awesome forum, but coming from a 2000 ZX6r which i owned prior to this bike, i had friends who had similar zx6r with about 80K on them and they still ran strong.
So can i safely assume that the SV would hold up just as good?
Do you think that buyers quotng 16K to be high miles is a bunch of BS so that they can lower the selling price? help me out here fellas!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
16k on a 9 year old bike is a crime, it's barely been ridden

it's not even broken in yet

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
There are plenty of people here with 25k+ miles, a few with well over 50k+, and even RandyO had over 100k on his SV....
WE dont think 16k is high at all, its hardly broken in.... the general public, however, may see this as high. I mean, look at how many motorcycles are out there that rarely see 1k+ miles each year...

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I just got over 15K on my 00. Quite a few folks here have over 50K on newer SVs. 16K is just getting started :)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
36,000 is average milage for a bike of that model year

·
Registered
539 Posts
In states where there is a riding "season" people are used to seeing bikes with low miles. Bikes are only ridden for 6-7 months out of the year due to winter.

On the west coast people ride their bikes all year and really rack up milage. To me 16k isn't high but it's higher then anyones bike I ride with here in NY.

I picked up my first SV with 6k miles and my latest with only 343 miles...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with RandyO, that is very low miles for a 2000.

I bought my 2000 SV650 last spring for someone with 14K and was thinking- "Wow this bike has no miles for a 2000" Just getting broke in! Basicly the same thing you got.

Proud to say I put over 3500 miles on in one season, which is was way over what this last owner was doing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the reassurance guys, it makes me feel much better now! after 2 calls saying the same thing it started make me doubt myself

·
Registered
539 Posts
You will get the right buyer eventually that knows 16k is nothing just be patient...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
16k is low milage for a bike of that model year

if you don't ride a lot and plan on keeping it a long time, I would be more concerned with parts becoming obsolete

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
16k is low milage for a bike of that model year

if you don't ride a lot and plan on keeping it a long time, I would be more concerned with parts becoming obsolete
i dont think parts get obsolete as long as there is ebay ;D

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
If you don't have it listed here in the for sale section, you should go ahead and list it. There are always people looking for bikes.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I don't know about 1st gen but my 06 has just that..
That thing runs good as new.... Yes it needs a chain and sprockets but other than that, top notch!

I would think that carb models would be less prone to problems. (fewer electronics involved).

·
Registered
153 Posts
16K for a 9 year old bike would be less than 1800mi a year on average. If you are riding in the 4 summer months ... that would be ~444 miles a month. (~15 miles a day if you ride 30 days a month.) If (like many people) you ride 9 months out of the year, and your ride 20 days a month (typical work week commuting) you are doing ~10miles a day.

Either way it is either a very low mileage bike. (Which could be bad ... especially if it hasn't been taken care of.)

As a side note, if you are doing 12K a year (i.e. typical work week commuting of 50miles a day) 9 years would give you 108k miles.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
excellent! the next time some one hits me up with the high mileage line, i am going to send them this link , that should set things straight! you guys/gals are awesome!

the bike is listed on the classfied , has been for over 3 days!

·
Registered
67 Posts
excellent! the next time some one hits me up with the high mileage line, i am going to send them this link , that should set things straight! you guys/gals are awesome!

the bike is listed on the classfied , has been for over 3 days!
Questions a smart buyer would ask the seller:

How often did you ride the bike?
(the more frequent the better)

What was the longest single stint that you didn't ride? weeks, months, years?
(how was the bike stored when not ridden)

What was the length of time that you rode?
(the longer time length the better, short rides are bad)

When was the last time the bike was used heavily?
(daily usage for long durations)

Is it fun to wheelie/stoppie?
(this is a trick question, wheelies and stoppies cause excessive wear compared to normal riding... the ideal answer to hear from an owner, is "I don't do wheelies")

---

But if you're on the selling side, you just tell the young/inexperienced bike buyer, "16,000 is low mileage for this bike, I really barely rode it."

New riders always seem to think bike "not ridden much" is somehow better than a "well used" bike. Hahaha.... silly noobs.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Heck, I intend to put 16k on my 08 in the next 2-3 years :)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts