Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my first post here on the site. Just wondering about the 15k service which includes a valve adjust. My question is has anyone checked the valves themselves to see if adjustment is necessary. The dealer wants $300 for the service and am trying to justify if i should do it or let them do it.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I just did my valve adjustment and the 2nd gen cam swap last weekend. It took us all day to do it, but in the end I'm glad I did it myself and didn't have to pay some shop that I don't know if I could trust do it.

There are a few posts on here that helped me out a lot. If you search you should be able to find a bunch of info on how to do the check and how to swap out shims. I would recommend getting a service manual also if you don't already have one.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I can feel it in the mid to top end and at only $100 I think it was worth while.

All you need are the cams, but you might want to also get the CCT gaskets. I got them, but since I didn't have to remove the cam chain tensioners I didn't have to use them and as long as your careful with the valve cover gaskets you should be able to reuse them.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Zach

·
Registered
333 Posts
The only problem with doing the 15k yourself is if you check the valves and they need adjustment, your bike may be down a few days, or you'll have to put everything back together and take it in for adjustment. It's all up to you.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
The only problem with doing the 15k yourself is if you check the valves and they need adjustment, your bike may be down a few days, or you'll have to put everything back together and take it in for adjustment. It's all up to you.
As long as you have a moto shop close that has the right shims then you should be able to do it in one day. Or you can purchase a shim kit so you have all of them, but they are around $80. The shims are 7.48mm in dia. I believe that some Yamaha's also use the same size shims, so I would call around before you dig in to make sure they have them in stock.

It took us around 12hrs to do the cam change and swap out the shims. It would have been faster, but we screwed up the timing on the rear cylinder so we spent a few hours straighting that out.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Not everyone makes 200 bucks an hour... I don't, but I sure can, and love to work on my bike.
charging $100/hr per person has not much to do with how much you make, there are expenses that go with it, expenses that you are responsible for regardless if you work or not

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dealership i work at charges about 110 an hour, so i know all about that. I called the dealer again today and they quoted me 500 now for the service, so im definately gonna be doing it myself. those charts are for the generation engine i have right? and where did you get your cams at??

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Where did you get your cam's?
I got them from a moto junk yard in Texas. They were pretty good guys to deal with and were the cheapest I could find. If you want I can look up the name of the place.

As far as it costing $2500 in time. I don't see it that way. It was a learning expierence for Iakayak81 and me. Like jbswear said. I do it as a hobby and I find it fun and relaxing. Plus I enjoy the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself and that I didn't have to pay some goon at a shop that could care less about my bike or me to do it.

It doesn't take everybody that long to do it. I've read anywhere from 4hrs to a couple of weeks to do everything. I think it all depends on your skill level and how prepared you are.

My time also included draining and refilling the radiator. Which you don't have to do, it just makes it easier. It also included the time it took to remove and replace the farings, which if you have a naked will save some time.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Heya,

Could you PM me the name and contact info of that junk yard? I'd love to pick through the other SV stuff they have.

Thanks!

I got them from a moto junk yard in Texas. They were pretty good guys to deal with and were the cheapest I could find. If you want I can look up the name of the place.

As far as it costing $2500 in time. I don't see it that way. It was a learning expierence for Iakayak81 and me. Like jbswear said. I do it as a hobby and I find it fun and relaxing. Plus I enjoy the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself and that I didn't have to pay some goon at a shop that could care less about my bike or me to do it.

It doesn't take everybody that long to do it. I've read anywhere from 4hrs to a couple of weeks to do everything. I think it all depends on your skill level and how prepared you are.

My time also included draining and refilling the radiator. Which you don't have to do, it just makes it easier. It also included the time it took to remove and replace the farings, which if you have a naked will save some time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts