Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

$1500 -Decent price for 1st Gen SV650S

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  bearsniper 
#1 ·
It's 1st Gen SV650S. Odo reads 8300 mi. I assume it's accurate. He wants $1500. He thinks (or is trying to convince me) that it's a 2006. I know its a 1st Gen. Not sure why he's confused on the year, or trying to BS me about it. He claims his sister is the owner but he is the one that's been riding it. Clearly it's been ridden HARD. The guy mentions to me he dropped it after a "wheelie" mishap. He's currently riding it without a front brake. :facepalm: He's apprarently the second owner and the first owner has dropped it as well.

The obvious details (from a quick 5 min look at the bike): one front turn signal broken, front brake lever missing /broken, front fairing is cracked on both sides...but not broken all the way through. Both forks are leaking oil --apparently for a while. The engine sounded strong and he was riding like it was pretty straight. I'm mostly concerned about the fork leakage. My 01 SV has twice the miles and no fork leaks yet. I'm sure the leaking may be due to the wheelies or the forks might be bent.

Assuming worst case scenario & forks are bent....is $1500 too much? Used bike market here is fairly strong. Overall the bike was very dirty, but I know cosmetically it's "rough" all around. I see him ride it past my house to his work pretty regularly...so I know the machine runs.

I really love 1st Gens, & I rarely see them in my area. I'd be avoiding any shipping costs. Opinions? Is there any good way of knowing fork condition without removing them from the bike? I assume not, but riding it might help a little. I am familiar with how the bike "should" feel.

See less See more
#2 ·
My 0.02$ worth.... I'd try to work the price down on that one.

What is your intention for this bike? a spare parts bike, a track bike, garage decoration?

You never know what kind of abuse it has been through or any intermittent issues it may have. Sounds to me like he might have been stunting it. Not the best bike for that kind of stuff. Wheelies can give them heart attacks (i.e. serious damage). You may end up with more repairs than you thought. Does it burn oil?

#4 ·
You can pick up a fairly clean, in decent condition 1st gen for $1500, even if you have to travel some.
If you could pick it up for well less than the $1500 then it might be worth pursuing but otherwise I'd pass if the seller isn't willing to drop the price a bit.
Considering the work needed to fix the forks and to bring the front brakes up to snuff, I'd pass.

#5 ·
My wife's been talking about learning to ride...so ultimately it would be something for her. I would just get it mechanically sound before doing any cosmetic work...and maybe let her learn on it.

I am inclined to think $1500 is too much as well, especially since there's evidence that he's been riding it so hard / possibly stunting.

The bike didn't smoke...but I can't be certain it doesn't burn oil.

I'm just kicking this idea around. I flagged him down yesterday for the first time and he seemed open to selling it, but I didn't make any kind of offer. He just dropped the $1500 number in conversation. I didn't really give him any feedback on that number. I was still trying to wrap my head around why he is confused about what year the bike is.

So any opinions on what number is worth taking a "risk" on one? At a $1,000 ...couldn't you start to part it out and recoup your $ if it had a bunch of unforseen problems?

#6 ·
So any opinions on what number is worth taking a "risk" on one? At a $1,000 ...couldn't you start to part it out and recoup your $ if it had a bunch of unforseen problems?

Sounds like it could definitely be a good candidate for a learner bike with some mechanical work.

But I wouldn't think 1000$ would be easy to recoup if things don't work out very well; since the engine condition is unknown, the forks are shot, fairings are a write-off and you need to spend on some front brakes. I don't really see any significant value here. A low-ball offer is all I would toss around, if any.

As others have said, 1500$ should get you a decent SV.

#7 ·
Well, that's what I like about this forum. After hearing many other voices of reason, I agree this probably is something to pass on.

That being said... I keep hearing fair / average condition SV's can be had for $1500 all day long. I've just not seen many recently. On the coasts & warmer climates they seem to be more common... but it's not practical for me to try and arrange to buy a bike that isn't local.

What with the price of gasoline, it's also fairly impractical to drive 500 miles or more just to look at a bike and verify it's condition.

#10 ·
I got an '02 that was set up as a track bike for $1,800. It included track fairings with no street fairings or lights. IT had 15K on the clock and was in good condition. You can find most of the parts you will need on ebay. You can price the parts and then go back to the seller and show him the cost to bring the bike back to good condition. I would go in the $1,000 range. Good luck.

#11 ·
Pass on it or offer 1K if that

#13 ·
OK. I can see the overwhelming consensus is to pass & I'm already in agreement. I'm still getting no response on where all these clean $1500 first gen SV's are though. I see lots in warmer climates ...not so much in South Dakota or close to me.

#15 ·
I just bought my first bike, a 2000 naked. They are a little tough to find, but don't let that discourage you. I cried myself to sleep after losing a nice red 2000 model for $2000 (first SV I was interested in), just couldn't get there in time and I was taking the MSF class the next day. I know absolutely nothing about motorcycles.

I waited and found a mint condition (one tiny dent from a garage drop) 2000 model with 8700 miles for $1300 (negotiated from $2000).

The bike still had the 12 yr old stock tires so I had to put new ones on it. It needed some seafoam but still started and ran pretty strong when I bought it. Of course I gave it a proper newbie inauguration by dropping after taking it off the trailer and trying to uturn into my driveway. :-[ But no harm done, nakeds FTW.

I now have $1550 in the bike and its running great, but it would take $2500 and a crowbar to pry it from my kungfu grip....today was my first day riding it and I am in love;D;D;D

Good luck with the search, craigslist is your friend. If you don't offer low, you never know, all they can say is no.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.