Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 is approaching the 14,500 mile periodic maintenance.  I change my own fluids and the basic routine maintenance, and have done so for the past 6,000 miles.  The tappet clearance, carb sync and throttle valve sync are items on the list that get me worried a bit.  I have a small amount of experience but I am not that confident.

Is it worth paying someone to do these more involved items or trying to figure it out on my own, and risk not having the correct tools ect.  I have heard horror stories from people having bad experience at ?the dealer? and I would like to avoid this at all costs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
+1

I am getting there too. what i am lacking is time and a covered garage.

V

·
0 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined and can follow instructions carefully you can probably pull off these more involved maintenance issues with your bike. You'll need a metric socket set and metric allen sockets, a torque wrench (in. lb.), carb sync gauges if you want to sync the carbs yourself and of course either a factory service manual or a Clymer or Haynes.

The valves are easy to check, a bit harder to adjust (involves removing the cams and replacing the shims), if you don't feel comfy with the adjustment, you can take it to them stripped down and let them do it for way less.

Plus, if you decide to the maintenance yourself, you have a bunch of knowledgable guys right here on the board that are happy to help you figure out a problem. When I recently adjusted my valves I had a small problem and got help within about 30 minutes of my post that helped me greatly.

Another thing as Qfactor said is having a good clean place to work.

As you said, when you take it to the dealer, you don't know if they did the procedure correctly or if they even did it at all. You care more about your bike than anyone else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.
I have the tools (minus the carb sync) and the factory manual.  The limiting factor is a clean environment to do the work.  I have no garage.

I called around and two different shops quoted the Suzuki factory 15,000 mile service at $180.00 plus parts.  Is this a fair price?  I figure that is roughly 2 hours of labor plus any parts?

V

·
0 Posts
My shop charges $60/hr so that may be 3 hours. Just be sure to verify that the price quoted includes adjustment of the tappet clearance if it is needed. That sounds like a fair price though, I've seen folks on here say they paid $250 or more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts