Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my buddies took a spill (Red leather) at Jefferson several weeks ago and was caught on film from two different views. The down side is that his bike tagged another guy (Blk & wht leathers) and took him out in the collision.  :eek:  This is one of the reasons I gave up track days.... I've seen too much carnage...... My body is too old to take a tumble like that.......
  http://myfilez.net/uploads/videos/WolCrash.wmv

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
why did the first guy crash? it didnt look like he had even made the turn in for the corner... was he on crack?

·
Registered
332 Posts
wonderjosh said:
why did the first guy crash? it didnt look like he had even made the turn in for the corner... was he on crack?
I was kinda wondering that too, I'm think the frontend tucked early in the breaking???

·
Registered
571 Posts
that sucks.

what caused your friend to crash in the first place? he was already well on his way to the ground by the time he is in the picture.

and how does that work with the other guy? does everyone sign a waiver when they go saying that they are responsible for any damages to their own bike? or is there some unwritten rule that riders have to help out those that they cause to crash?

that is the only reason that i'm hesitant about doing a track day. i wouldn't mind it so much if i crashed by myself. but if i took out somebody else i'd feel so bad and probably not want to do it anymore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
 The reason for the crash was that his 600RR went into a violent tank slapper exiting the previous corner and entering this straightaway which translated into a horrific wobble which in turn threw him on the ground. Due to the violence of the headshake he was unable to work the throttle which was pinned wfo,he also told me that the bike was rapidly picking up speed which made the headshake worse...You will notice that the camera bikes max speed is approx 110mph then slows to approx 65mph at the moment when my bud hits the ground. It looks to me that my bud might have been traveling maybe 45 to 50 mph faster than the surrounding riders.   I myself had a hell of a tank slapper on my R-1 coming out of the same corner leading to this straightaway..... Luckily I was able to feather the throttle and allow the weight to transfer back onto the front wheel which stopped the head shake. But, The front wheel shook so violently that the pistons in the front brake calipers were pushed all the way in..... This led to no brakes for the first 3 or 4 lever pulls... Imagine about 110mph entry into that same corner with "No Brakes"  :eek: :eek:  You ride at your own risk, No responsibility for injury,death or equipment damage...Period

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ruefus said:
Track incident = racing incident = sh!t happens.

How badly banged up were the riders? How about the bikes?

Intermediate group, perhaps?
Red Leathers--A few cuts scrapes very stiff and sore

Black & White leathers---A couple of broken ribs,punctured lung,stiff and sore.

It was the I-group you are correct. The guy in the Orange shirt is a control rider..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Woody106 said:
wait a minute, you mean the control rider ( safety guy in other words, keeps others in check) is riding in a T-shirt, NO LEATHERS......WTF? ???
Control riders wear a orange t- shirt over their leathers to identify themselves to other riders

·
Registered
142 Posts
If I remember correctly, that is the short straight just going past the paddock when running the track clockwise. You come out of an S-turn, short stretch, then into a sweeping increasing radius turn to the long back stretch. The crash happened just before that turn and pretty much in front of everyone who wasn't on the track. I have done a couple track days at the Jefferson Circuit, but both times in a cage...not on a bike. Even then there were those who had to go off roading into the trees on the infield. Race at your own risk....and if you crack up....don't tell the insurance company where it happened!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ruefus said:
Sorta figures it was the I group. They have the reputation for crashing the most.
I dont know if I would say I group crashes the most, Depends on the day.. Ive seen all groups from beginner to advanced have their share of crashes.. I do think that I group does have the most amount of riders with different skill levels which might lead to the theory that they crash the most...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
o_town_racer said:
If I remember correctly, that is the short straight just going past the paddock when running the track clockwise. You come out of an S-turn, short stretch, then into a sweeping increasing radius turn to the long back stretch. The crash happened just before that turn and pretty much in front of everyone who wasn't on the track. I have done a couple track days at the Jefferson Circuit, but both times in a cage...not on a bike. Even then there were those who had to go off roading into the trees on the infield. Race at your own risk....and if you crack up....don't tell the insurance company where it happened!
You are correct

1 - 20 of 37 Posts