Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with 119,790 miles on th clock, I had my 120 k service done today

as usual, it's still running great, oil consumption is now regular, I have to add about ¼ quart every tank of gas

they put cr7e plugs in due to the now noticable oil consumption

valves were loose by quite a bit

everything else was normal

my mechanic is recommending some time this winter I let them have the bike for a week, for a teardown, something I will have to think very hard about, it just runs too good to think it's at that point

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thejimdaddy said:
me too, randy is the high mileage king
naw, I hear rumors of a SV in England that is riden by currier with somewhere in the 150k-160k area

and I've met a BMW rider that has over 700k on a bike that he bought new in the early 70s

·
Registered
235 Posts
Randy,

How come ya never ran synthetic oil? Considering how quick you rack up miles it would seem to make more sense - fewer changes and less wear.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Depends on how much they want for a teardown. If they have reason to believe there is a problem, then it may be necessary. A 1/4 of quart per tank full seems like a lot. Then again, as long as you are keeping up with adding oil, shouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
crossing the floating bridge on Rt65 in Brookfield, VT

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
i still dont understand where you get all the time... in both mileage and post count, truely impressive on both counts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well for teardown I wouldnt think they would really need to do a hole lot. New pistons and rings, bore the cylinders to match new pistons, probabley 1mm larger then stock, then I suppost maybe new valves and springs, new shims to get correct valve lash. Thats all I would do, but I suppose it wouldnt hure to put new bearings in the bottom end, but as far as that goes if it aint broke dont fix it, the top end work I mentioned wouldnt hurt though, would save you some oil that way.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sprint_9 said:
Well for teardown I wouldnt think they would really need to do a hole lot.  New pistons and rings, bore the cylinders to match new pistons, probabley 1mm larger then stock, then I suppost maybe new valves and springs, new shims to get correct valve lash.  Thats all I would do, but I suppose it wouldnt hure to put new bearings in the bottom end, but as far as that goes if it aint broke dont fix it, the top end work I mentioned wouldnt hurt though, would save you some oil that way.
yup, that's all they were really taking about was pistons & rings

the oil consumption is more annoying than costly, it doesn't smoke when running except when I really get on it, then not always, I think it's more valve seals than rings. is smoke on startup sometimes too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nice to see that a well maintained machine can last a while. Bravo.

"what is a floating bridge?"

At least in the Seattle/WA/PNW area, they are concrete pontoons that are anchored to the riverbed or lakebed underneath and happen to have a roadway on the top of them. Big ones here are I-90 floating bridge, 6 or 7 lanes wide, HWY 520 floating bridge with 4 lanes. Those are in Seattle. Also bridge from SW tip of WA over mouth of the Columbia River to Astoria, OR. That may be close to a mile long. If you search for Seattle Traffic Cameras, you can see various pictures of them, I am sure.

Bad storm on Thanksgiving several years back broke a section of I-90 loose and it floated down lake a bit.

Maybe you've seen the PNW's other famous bridge over the Tacoma Narrows? Called Galloping Gertie in years past, it is the famous shot of a suspension bridge going all wrong in the wind and a dude running from his car trying to get off.

Volcanoes, too...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
when I get home tonite, I'll see if I can post another pic of the bridge, this is a wooden floating bridge with about a 200±ft span, each end floads just below the surface, when a car drives across, the bridge sinks to about 8-10 inches below the water surface

Rt 65 is a gravel state highway

1 - 20 of 29 Posts