Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike wont start, can smell fuel, did this a month ago and i changed plugs and stoped riding to and from work (only 1 mile thought that might be what was fouling plugs) anyway doing exact same thing again, I think the slide is sticking in one of the carbs but that is definately only opinion, gonna take it apart in the mourning. Anybody had similar problems ? it did rain hard here 2 days ago so gonna check to see if the drain hole is clogged on front cylinder first, probebly add the vasoline or jelly even if thats not it just for preventing future problems. Once this is fixed, i have a 2 brothers slip on and was going to desnorkle a new air filter, also have 3/4" tank spacers does 150 sound like a good starting point for main jets ? :mad:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine has 13,000 and it is carb and needs to be choked. Since it has gotten cold it has been a pain to start. All i have notice with mine is that really. It would be nice for some people on here to let us know something. I am a newbie too, i mean i have only been riding since late september. And my SV is my first bike. Let me know if you ind anyhting out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 43k on my 02, and nothing has broken or prematurelly worn out that hasn't been direct result of me thrashing on it. I don;t wheelie it though, it seems to me a lot more problems happen to wheelie bikes due to lack of oil pressure when way up.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the only common failures are either due to being not properly maintained or some bearing problems if you do extended wheelies

at 123,000 mine runs as good or better than new, always starts as soon as the starter is thumbed, even in temps well below freezing

·
Registered
92 Posts
RandyO said:
at 123,000 mine runs as good or better than new, always starts as soon as the starter is thumbed, even in temps well below freezing
Must be nice! I envy you. I want a FI instead of one that needs to be choked. No one seems to believe me that even with a good battery that my choke will not start it right up. As nearly ever member says. I think I am going to get that checked out when funds allow me too.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
ShumateSV650 said:
Must be nice! I envy you. I want a FI instead of one that needs to be choked. No one seems to believe me that even with a good battery that my choke will not start it right up. As nearly ever member says. I think I am going to get that checked out when funds allow me too.
In reality, the carbed models do not have a choke on the normal sense, it is an enrichener, rather than choke the air flow to enrich the A/F mixture, it allows more fuel

it's normal for to need some "choke" with a cold engine, from a few seconds in summer, to a few minutes when its well below freezing, it your SV doesn't start readily with a charged battery, then likely you need a tuneup, plugs, air filter, carb sync, maybe even clean the carbs. Injected bikes do not start any better than a properly tuned carbed bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
RandyO said:
In reality, the carbed models do not have a choke on the normal sense, it is an enrichener, rather than choke the air flow to enrich the A/F mixture, it allows more fuel

it's normal for to need some "choke" with a cold engine, from a few seconds in summer, to a few minutes when its well below freezing, it your SV doesn't start readily with a charged battery, then likely you need a tuneup, plugs, air filter, carb sync, maybe even clean the carbs. Injected bikes do not start any better than a properly tuned carbed bike.
Thanks for the advice. I am scared to know how much place around Knoxville will charge for this ???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts