Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I'm running a 120/70 with out changing my tube height. Never heard that was something that needed to be done when running a 70 profile. Feels just fine to me in the deep turns.

:)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Nex-- Do you have a stock rear shock? Many GSXR or ZX 6/10 shocks will raise rear ride height, nullifying the need to fuss with the front end when changing from 60 to 70 profile front tire.

If you're on a stock shock with 120-70 front tire, try dropping the front end a few mm at a time by raising the forks in the triples. You might be very pleasantly surprised...

Craigmri-- A brief search will net you a good deal of information; in general, most riders will lower the front (raise the fork tubes in the triple) when switching from 60 to 70 profile front tire, amounts vary. The measured difference in heights between comparable 60 and 70 series tires side by side is in the 15-25 mm range. HTH

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
Nex--  Do you have a stock rear shock?  Many GSXR or ZX 6/10 shocks will raise rear ride height, nullifying the need to fuss with the front end when changing from 60 to 70 profile front tire.

If you're on a stock shock with 120-70 front tire, try dropping the front end a few mm at a time by raising the forks in the triples.  You might be very pleasantly surprised...

Craigmri--  A brief search will net you a good deal of information; in general, most riders will lower the front (raise the fork tubes in the triple) when switching from 60 to 70 profile front tire, amounts vary.  The measured difference in heights between comparable 60 and 70 series tires side by side is in the 15-25 mm range.  HTH
although the tire might be 25mm taller, the axle is in the center of the tire, the change in geometry is only ½ of the total height difference i the tires

theoretical difference is 12mm... I run 120/70s during winter cause that's the only size available in the tire I run during the winter, in summer, I run a 120/60 and I don't play around with the fork height when I swap, while there is a difference in handling, it's not so much that I have to adjust ride height

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
RandyO said:
although the tire might be 25mm taller, the axle is in the center of the tire, the change in geometry is only ½ of the total height difference i the tires

theoretical difference is 12mm... I run 120/70s during winter cause that's the only size available in the tire I run during the winter, in summer, I run a 120/60 and I don't play around with the fork height when I swap, while there is a difference in handling, it's not so much that I have to adjust ride height

Correct, the bottom half is the one that should be accounted for in fine tuning front ride height adjustment if one is so inclined...

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
Nex--If you're on a stock shock with 120-70 front tire, try dropping the front end a few mm at a time by raising the forks in the triples. You might be very pleasantly surprised...
While this IS true, six, Nex lives in the land of no curves, also known as Florida. ;D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
orangegilly said:
While this IS true, six, Nex lives in the land of no curves, also known as Florida. ;D

True 'dat. When he said 'deep turns' I thought to myself "WTF?" ;D

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
Nex-- Do you have a stock rear shock? Many GSXR or ZX 6/10 shocks will raise rear ride height, nullifying the need to fuss with the front end when changing from 60 to 70 profile front tire.
Yes I have a 636 rear shock so I guess the question and point is moot to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.