Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 120/70 front in the garage ready to replace the stock 120/60. Will this change in tire size affect the speedometer? If so, how much?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would like to know this as well.

I can say I have not noticed a huge difference but it must be a little off I would think.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
andy4us said:
When I did mine it went from being optomistic to accurate.

Andy

andy4us-- That's the general pattern I have picked up from other moto boards, and wanted confirmation with these sizes on the SV. Thanks... 8)

Anyone else confirm?

·
Registered
326 Posts
This is good info to know.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
I have a 120/70 front in the garage ready to replace the stock 120/60. Will this change in tire size affect the speedometer? If so, how much?
Do you happen to know what certain rpm's to mph's were before switching tire sizes? For instance my 04 says 65mph at 5,000 rpm in 6th gear. So if I changed to a larger front tire. I'd compare my new mph to what the engine 5,000 rpm displayed. You could do this for several different rpm/mph ranges before switching.
Ball park going to a larger front od tire your probably only talking a couple of mph slower would be my guess.
Cheers! :wink:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Another confirmation. With a 70 the speedo is within 1.5 mph of accuracy (verified by GPS).

Now the stock tach on the other hand...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A1A-- Yes, I have the RPM's and speedo indicated speed pretty much memorized. However, I don't think a change in front wheel size will affect the tachometer (rate of engine revolutions), only the speedometer reading (rate of front wheel revolutions).

[edit: I'm an idiot
. A1A, I see what you're saying...]

Hey thanks all. My nervous mind is more at ease now...

·
Registered
830 Posts
andy4us said:
When I did mine it went from being optomistic to accurate.

Andy
that's the word on the street, but i can't verify it. (i have the 120/70 tire, but no speedo)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am gonna try and check it tommorrow. We have a speedo check station on the freeway on the way to work. :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with the 120/70 tire rubbing on the stock 04' fender when the tire is cold or at running temp?

BTW I will be putting a Pilot Power on there.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
No clearance issues at all.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have powers, and a 70 in front. speedo is much closer, tire doesn't rub and as stated it feels better too. All good things ;D I have an 03

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Yes, Larger circumference, less revolutions per mile= decrease in speedo reading. So it should bring the stock speedo into line considering its off by up to 10% on the plus side.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pros of 120/70 over 120/60:

more accurate speedo
larger contact patch (more rubber) at full lean
slightly slower turn in
higher stability at full lean
slightly better bump absorption

cons:
possible fender issues
redistribution of rider weight due to higher front ride height; can be alleviated by raising forks in triples (lowering front end)
slower turn in

Yes, I'm aware I put slower turn-in as both pro and con; depends on what you want.

Personally, I will be going back to 120/60 after my 120/70 Strada front is shagged; I don't like the change in rider weight distribution and slower turn in...

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I tried a Michellin Pilot Sport in 120/70 and it was good. Needed a little tweaking but was good. My main thing I didn't like (as I went back to the 120/60) was the fact my mileage was screwed up. The speedo, no problem. But the mileage was 10% less than it was before. And that really screwed with my head.

But... I do like it and will be going back to the 120/70 at some point and time.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
wacky_woodchuck said:
I tried a Michellin Pilot Sport in 120/70 and it was good. Needed a little tweaking but was good. My main thing I didn't like (as I went back to the 120/60) was the fact my mileage was screwed up. The speedo, no problem. But the mileage was 10% less than it was before. And that really screwed with my head.

But... I do like it and will be going back to the 120/70 at some point and time.
Your mileage was less cause your speedo was wrong with the 120/60......... ???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts