Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently they don't mix.

I had tightened both my moto-elite mirrors up yesterday morning before heading to work but after baking in the sun all day they must've loosened up. I lost one of them in the middle of the freeway. Didn't even turn back, it was the beginning of rush hour.

Is there anything I can do besides keeping an allen wrench on me and tightening them up every day after work? It's the rubber that apparently can't handle the heat. I know the mirrors came with some metal inserts but I had no idea how to use them or if they were even for my application so I threw them out. But it looks like I'll be ordering a new set anyway...

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
You had them mounted using bar end plugs or something? I've always clamped my mirrors around the ends of the bars, it seems way more sturdy.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
I don't know how it's attached but if it's the same as the napoleans(with a rubber piece between the mirror and the bars), loctite wont help. The rubber will heat up and soften up. Thus lower pressure pressing against the bar end. Mine doesn't loosen up all that much, but at speed, it would move enough where I would have to adjust the actual mirror. Then when I stop, I get the allen key out. Again, doesn't happen too often. I carry some tools at all times so it's no big deal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just put Rizoma bar-ends (not mirrors, just the sliders) on a set of SVRP riser clip-ons. The rubber plugs weren't big enough to catch in the bars, so I turned a pair of brass cylinders on a lathe, bored and threaded a hole for the bar end bolt, and used JB weld to glue them in the bar. Now the bar ends are bolted right to the bar. I put a few grooves in the cylinders to grip the JB weld better. It only took 45 minutes to do, a lot of that time was spent turning down the cylinders since the only stock I had was way too big. I have no idea what a machine shop would charge for such a thing, but it might be worth your while to ask around and find out. Or find a buddy with a lathe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Apparently they don't mix.

I had tightened both my moto-elite mirrors up yesterday morning before heading to work but after baking in the sun all day they must've loosened up. I lost one of them in the middle of the freeway. Didn't even turn back, it was the beginning of rush hour.

Is there anything I can do besides keeping an allen wrench on me and tightening them up every day after work? It's the rubber that apparently can't handle the heat. I know the mirrors came with some metal inserts but I had no idea how to use them or if they were even for my application so I threw them out. But it looks like I'll be ordering a new set anyway...
Sorry to hear this happened, we have not documented this scenario happening with anyone else. We provide both rubber expanding inserts and metal collets for you to choose from for your installation. The SV650/1000's V-Twin engine is prone to heavy vibrations, so if the mirrors are not tightened correctly, the likelihood of them falling out increases.

The metal collet installation is very straight forward, and the mirrors are shipped with the metal collets installed and facing the right direction so all you have to do is place them in your bar end and twist the bolt so they expand.

Because you are a forum member we are willing to help you out in this scenario, I will send you a PM so we can sort this out.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Loctite will not work, the mirrors are not on threaded bolts, rather friction of an expanding rubber plug

fwiw, I never had a problem with my genuine Napoleons, can't speak for napoleon knock offs

but I did replace the oem rubber bar end plug with a length of heater hose

·
Registered
250 Posts
You had them mounted using bar end plugs or something? I've always clamped my mirrors around the ends of the bars, it seems way more sturdy.
wow I now feel retarded since I didnt think of that
I put some $30 ebay ones on and never liked them because it was really hard to get the plug to expand enough to be tight.
Now I'm wondering if it is the right size, I will look when I get home

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
All of them I've seen are the right size. The extenders are for if you don't have enough room on the bars.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
buy the crg mirrors. better made and the barends are metal on metal no cheap rubber to heat and loosen
We offer the same exact metal on metal parts INCLUDED with our mirrors at more than half the price. The OP chose not to use them and this is the first case of the rubber piece failing. This could have easily been an installation error.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Loctite will not work, the mirrors are not on threaded bolts, rather friction of an expanding rubber plug

fwiw, I never had a problem with my genuine Napoleons, can't speak for napoleon knock offs

but I did replace the oem rubber bar end plug with a length of heater hose
But there is a metal bolt and metal nut that make the rubber plug expand, If that bolt is getting loose then loctite works fine. I wasn't saying to loctite the rubber plug ;).

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
But there is a metal bolt and metal nut that make the rubber plug expand, If that bolt is getting loose then loctite works fine. I wasn't saying to loctite the rubber plug ;).
loctite will prevent you from tightening further expanding the rubber sleeve, and will also make it almost impossible to loosen the bolt and remove the rubber plug cause it will just spin inside the softened rubber

its not the bolt that loosens, its the rubber that gets soft

replace the oem rubber plug with reinforced rubber hose, job done

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I was thinking about maybe using loctite on the metal nut inside the rubber but like said above I don't think it's slipping, it's just the rubber that softens up.

But no matter. The kind folks at Moto-elite are going out of their way to send me a new mirror along with some of the metal collets so I can go ahead and use those instead.

There may be rubber out there that can withstand baking in 110 heat all day without deforming but for the few who actually ride their bikes in this kind of weather it's probably best not to use rubber at all. Live and learn, I guess. I'm just glad they decided to take care of me. I'm not in a position to throw money away on dumb mistakes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts