Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always wanted to ride the Pacific Coast. I had a few days off so I thought I would go for it. I've also been interested in doing an Iron Butt ride. Instead of doing the usual first ride of 1000 miles in 24 hours, I decided to try to make it from coast to coast in under 50 hours. Living near Atlanta, this meant I would have to take a day to ride down to Jacksonville.

The bike: 2006 SV650S with a hair over 10k mi that I bought brand new in April 2008. Stock for the most part including stock seat and stock windscreen. Only mods are hard luggage, GPS, and a crampbuster. The only preparation for the trip was a synthetic oil change before I left along with a few extra psi in the tires for the interstate miles. By the way, the bike did fine the entire trip without any maintainance the entire trip except for one chain cleaning. No chain adjustment and no oil needed to be added.

Here's the general route for day 1. I wanted to stop in Savannah longer, but was dodging the rain or riding in the rain from the time I got to Savannah until the time I got to Jacksonville.

Savannah, GA:

Stopped to take a few pictures in Brunswick, GA at this cool bridge.

I made it to the Jacksonville Beach area Monday night after riding through some of the worst weather I've ever ridden in. I was riding watching lightning strike in the water next to me, and I really didn't have anywhere to pull off to hide. So I just rode through it.

The plan was to wake up early and start my first Iron Butt ride towards San Diego. The writeup of the rest of the trip will come soon. Here's just a few pics to whet your appetite...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
best of luck on your 50cc attempt

·
Registered
261 Posts
So i am guessing the 50cc is for 50 hours to cross coats to coast? Love the picks so far! Soon I will be attempting the same thing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i am guessing the 50cc is for 50 hours to cross coats to coast? Love the picks so far! Soon I will be attempting the same thing.
Yup. 50 hours coast to coast. Good luck if you attempt it yourself. It was a good experience.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The next round of pictures please make them at least 640x480, I love pictures :hug:

Glad you made it home safe, congratulations...

·
Registered
61 Posts
NIce !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Day 2: Jacksonville Beach to San Antonio. ~1120 mi in a little over 18 hours

Here's what ended up being the route. Just I-10 west, and I took the 1604loop to bypass San Antonio.

The plan was to wake up early so I could make it to Junction, TX by the end of the day. I wanted to be on the road by 6am, but either I slept through my alarm or I never set it. So by the time I had stopped by the police station in Jacksonville Beach for a witness and got my first receipt, it was after 8:15. I stopped by the beach so it would be a true coast to coast ride. This would be the only time I took pictures for the day.

After I left Jacksonville, it was just ride west and stop for gas when needed. For the most part, I knew where I wanted to stop for gas so I just rode from tank to tank. Everything went smooth especially considering my longest day to this point was 300, maybe 400 miles. I really got into a rhythm later in the day and felt good on the bike. I wasn't even stopping very long to get gas. I think it caught up to me later in the day between Houston and San Antonio. I had to stop for about 30 min to rest and have a snack. After that I was good, and made it to San Antonio before I figured I'd better call it quits. I didn't make it as far as I wanted, but I needed sleep and felt like I made it far enough to at least have a chance at making to San Diego in less than 50 hours.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The next round of pictures please make them at least 640x480, I love pictures :hug:

Glad you made it home safe, congratulations...
Thanks. The pictures are actually a few pixels bigger than 640x480. I already went through most of the good pictures and resized and edited them at the same size. If you have any special requests for certain pictures though I can redo them bigger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is epic. One of my dreams is to ride to the west coast and back, but I've only had my SV (and motorcycle endorsement) for 2 weeks. Thank you for showing that it is indeed possible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Day 3: San Antonio to San Diego. ~1300mi in 23 hours.

I guess that blows the secret; I did make it. Here's my route.

Even though I was in Texas, I was still keeping myself on Eastern time. I still wanted to leave somewhat early so I could have a chance at making it to San Diego, but I didn't end up leaving until 9am ET. Here's a picture outside my room in San Antonio.

I decided that I was going to take it easier today than I had the day before. I would stop when I needed it for food, drink, picture taking...If I didn't make it in the 50 hours, then that would be fine. The day didn't start out so well. I went the wrong way trying to get on I-10. After I made the wrong turn, I realized that the parking lot on the interstate was where I needed to be. Instead of sitting in traffic I used my gps to take a "scenic" route north to get on I-10. Actually I believe "scenic" was actually part of the name of the road.

After that, everything went fairly smooth for the next few hours. The 80mph speed limit in West Texas allowed me to eat up some miles pretty quick. Like I said before, I had planned out where I wanted to stop for gas pretty well. I planned on stopping around every 150mi. Although I think the sustained high speeds and going up and down hills almost got me in trouble a couple times. There was one tankful that I thought I might literally run out of gas. My gas light started blinking around 115 mi, and went solid soon after. I checked my gps to see if I could stop somewhere earlier than planned, but there were no gas stations any sooner. I slowed WAY down, and hoped I made it. I must have rolled into the gas station on fumes.

Up to this point, everything was good. Then all of a sudden, I was driving through Texas and it got HOT. It happened really fast. So every gas stop I would soak my fake underarmor shirt in water to keep me cool. Halfway between gas stops I would make a quick 5-10 min stop to drink and pour more water on myself. This method was barely enough to get me by. Riding through the heat was exhausting. But stopping so often gave me a chance to take some cool pictures.

Texas:

New Mexico:

Arizona:

I stopped in Tuscon about 10pm ET. I was really really exhausted from all the riding. I didn't realize how far Tuscon was from San Diego. After all I was only one state away. But I had plenty of time to make it under 50 hours, so I was prepared to stop every 30 miles if need be, or even quit if I felt I couldn't make it. About this time the sun had gone down. After I left Tuscon, I rode with every intention on feeling exhausted again and having to stop soon. It never happened. I rode straight through my tank until my next gas stop. I guess without the sun beating down on me, I had more energy.

I rode from tank to tank the whole way until San Diego. About this time I saw signs for how many more miles until San Diego. This let me know that San Diego was close, but I also realized that I was further away that I thought. The only issue I had was at one gas stop where I dropped a penny into the latch on my Givi top case. The penny prevented the latch from locking. I tried to pry it out. I even took off my top case and turned it upside down trying to free the penny. Neither worked. I ended up having to empty the entire contencts of my top case to unscrew the latch.

When I finally made it to San Diego, I got lost trying to get to the beach. While I was lost, I noticed a group of policemen hanging out at a 7-11. I tried to remember where they were so I could stop there after the beach to get them to sign my witness form. I finially found the beach. I tried to get a couple pictures, but it was pitch black outside. I left the beach and tried to retrace my steps back to the policemen. I eventually found them. I chatted with them for a few min. They couldn't believe I was in Jacksonville just the day before, and came this whole way on a bike that wasn't even "that big." They were more than happy to sign my witness form. After that it was off to get a final receipt and a hotel room for a few hours. My final receipt time was 4:37 am local time or 7:37 ET. I had just ridden from coast to coast in less than 48 hours.

At the beach:

In the parking lot to the beach:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wow thats awesome. I live in Jax actually. On 05-23-09 I went from Jax to pensacola and back. A trip exactly 800 miles and I thought that was fun. Great trip, I can't wait to do this too.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
great write up!

less than 48 hours coast to coast is unfreakingbelievable! what kind of mods do you have for comfort?

·
Registered
827 Posts
those pics of savannah def brought back some memories for me when i was stationed at stewart back in the day. i love seeing those pics, keep them coming! much respect man, that is no easy journey.

great write up!

less than 48 hours coast to coast is unfreakingbelievable! what kind of mods do you have for comfort?
he just had a crampbuster! props!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts