Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 SV650S. Love it so very much.

The previous owner dropped it at low speed and it suffered minimal damage. Nothing that turned me off at the time of purchase.

I noticed about a week after purchase that the radiator was not hooked on the peg mount part on the upper left hand side when I was cleaning it one day. I hooked it back on and thought no more about it. Took it out last week when it was warm here and noticed rattling. I stopped and saw that the right side bracket on the radiator, the one welded on had popped loose. It appears to have been superglued together to avoid purchase time detection. I wasn't really mad about this because I figured I could fix it in some way.

I was half right.

I wheeled it out of the garage and put it up on the center stand about an hour ago and started to dismantle the radiator bracket mounts so that I could get to the area to work on.

I took the bracket and drilled it out so I could get a screw/bolt through it to mount it to the radiator. So far so good. I searched through all my screws and bolts for the perfect one. Got some lock washers and was good to go. I had enough clearance with the hoses and everything still attached and started screwing down the screw. Had it on pretty good and gave it one extra turn :'(.

The green fluid started gushing. I cracked into the radiator with the last turn. :mad:

Drat.

Just ordered a new radiator from Oneida. I guess the only good thing is I have asked them through the contact page if the Gel Seat that says 2004-2009 will fit a 2003 model. If it will I will add that to my radiator order and at least have a more comfy ride.

Oh well. Accidents happen, dumb things occur, I am a stupid. ;D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I saw the Gel seat for sale here and the poster stated will not fit 03's.

So rats, no OEM gel seat option for the 2003's.

Ha ha yeah it's like a $350 bummer :(

Stuff happens.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
yeah I got a unique bike!...

ouch....radiators are expensive....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah, I saw the Gel seat for sale here and the poster stated will not fit 03's.

So rats, no OEM gel seat option for the 2003's.

Ha ha yeah it's like a $350 bummer :(

Stuff happens.
yeah it happens to the best of us, don't worry =D

yeah the OEM seat does not fir the 03's due to its higher subframe, but maybe you can do the gel seat mod on svr, doesn't look too difficult to do.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I lucked out. I have an 03, but it had an 04 subframe/tail on it when I got it. I also needed to have the radiator replaced.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting, maybe I am lucky too with an 04 subframe. Is it a build month code or some sort of indicator that can be referenced?

I forgot to add this part to my woe is me tale.

I was planning on putting the money I am spending on the radiator screw up into some OEM lower fairings and motosliders that fit the fairings. Now that fun stuff gets put on hold.

Lame having cool stuff "priorities" due to these economic harsh times but it comes and goes. Money that is...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'd cancel that order and just have the leaking one repaired....any good radiator shop can do it and it will be far cheaper then a new radiator.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tight is tight.

Too tight is broken.

Yeah. I am not super strong nor am I weak. I am just right to always apply too much human torque.

Yeah get it repaired. That seems like a good idea. I could do that and have the bracket welded on for less than 1/2 the cost of the new one I would bet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I actually serendipitiously ran into the guy who does the repairs on my automobiles I have owned at the grocery store today. I told him the deal and he said swing the radiator by tomorrow to see what he could do with it. He made no promises but said he was up for it.

2nd option is JB weld. But not sure exactly how to do it. It's a small pin hole at the top that is only really accessible through the existing hole in the radiator casing. I can't see where the puncture is but I suppose I could just shove as much JB weld mix as I could down that hole and hope for the best.

Worst case is it still leaks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
How did things pan out, was the mechanic able to repair that hole? I know JB Weld is the shyte lol used that to fix my broken bar end mirrors and a few other projects.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had to have my radiator repaired after an accident(5days in the hospital 3 in a coma) and i got it repaired by miley radiators in utah for 61$ shipping included

1 - 14 of 14 Posts