Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came to the conclusion the SV is not comfortable for touring (at least not for me).

It all started Tuesday morning. Rode 700 miles and my neck was aching after 2 hours. Woke up Wednesday morning And while doing an inspection found a radiator bolt jumped ship somewhere along the 700 miles. But with no time to make any side stops just kept on.

Wednesday was easy as far as riding only had to do 150 miles and got to sleep a full night .

Thursday I had a 450 mile ride back home. My forearms, neck, and palms were already sore to make it worse A storm was traveling ENE and my route initially was going to be on I-10 but with the far and few exits along I-10 I decided to take an alt. route that would keep me not far from areas that provided cover. So I rode 20 to 27. Which still had me traveling EEN for about 2 hours then slowly turning ESE. So I rode with the storm. 3 hours into the ride I lost a cruise control bolt ( my last bit of comfort other than a touring screen).

I have come to dislike the clip on position and lack of heat that is abundant on the I-4. Would I recommend the SV as a tourer NO WAY!! I am however glad I had somewhat of a fairing to block some wind and rain. But I would recommend something with a bit more meat in the plastics dept. . And something with hand guards.... or just plain handguards.

Anyone looking to trade me a Wing or Ultra for a SV minus one radiator bolt?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I dont find the riding position too bad personally. If you want a long distance tourer you could drop an extra 15 grand and get a loaded leadwing but probably not the best on twisties :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I raised my clipons 1 3/4' and dropped the pegs 3/4' which made a BIG difference on my 1st gen. I flew to Ohio to pick it up when I purchased it and rode 800 milles the first day and 5 hours in a torrential downfall. wasnt that bad and I'm 6'1" and now with the mods its good for all day.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
that's why i ride nekkid!!

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Came to the conclusion the SV is not comfortable for touring (at least not for me).

It all started Tuesday morning. Rode 700 miles...
I think that's the biggest part of the problem right there. Worst thing you can do on a trip is front-load the mileage like that. Your body's not used to being on a bike all day, you get really sore and never really recover. 700 is huge mileage on an SVS, hard to imagine that you'd be anything other than miserable by the end of the day.
...I have come to dislike the clip on position and lack of heat that is abundant on the I-4. Would I recommend the SV as a tourer NO WAY!! I am however glad I had somewhat of a fairing to block some wind and rain. But I would recommend something with a bit more meat in the plastics dept. . And something with hand guards.... or just plain handguards.

Anyone looking to trade me a Wing or Ultra for a SV minus one radiator bolt?
Some higher clipons, an electric vest and V-Strom handguards would go a long way to fixing all that. That "abundant heat" from an I-4 can be a big problem in the summer. It was one of the main reasons I switched from a Concours to a V-Strom as my commuting/touring/2-up bike.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Are you sure you are missing a radiator bolt? There is only one. It just rests on the mount on the left side. I thought I lost one the first time I noticed that.

I have taken the SV on some trips but no more than 300 miles in a day. I don't find it too bad.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I was going to comment on your first day's mileage, but Rich already said what I was going to say.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
everybody has different ergonomics

for me, my nekid SV, stock form is more comfortable than my V-strom in stock form. problem with my strom, seat is too wide, bars are a longer reach, but the 1000cc engine is more relaxing on a long run than the 650

my first IBA SS1000 & BB1500 on my SV, I rode 700 miles in the rain

·
Registered
748 Posts
Are you sure you are missing a radiator bolt? There is only one. It just rests on the mount on the left side. I thought I lost one the first time I noticed that.

I have taken the SV on some trips but no more than 300 miles in a day. I don't find it too bad.
Hah!! I noticed that too. Thought that it fell out somewhere but after trying to drive a screw into the other side where there is no hole, I figured it out :)

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
+1 on what rich said

I also think that streching, staying relaxed, and finding positions on the bike that are comfortable for you are important.

i also tend to dress 'warm'. wearing a little more than you think is necessary to keep warm. if your cold, you tend to tense up more which wears you out.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Last weekend the bf and I rode from Knoxville, TN up through Gatlinburg to Cherokee, NC. All in all we left at appx. 11 AM and got home at 10:30 PM. My bumm was a little sore b/c I still have the stock seat on it and my right ear was sore for some reason. It's never done that before...but I've also never rode that long before. We took breaks every few hours b/c my wrist has never healed from my crash in Sept and hurts most of the time.
With all that said...I'd do it again!

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I think that's the biggest part of the problem right there. Worst thing you can do on a trip is front-load the mileage like that. Your body's not used to being on a bike all day, you get really sore and never really recover. 700 is huge mileage on an SVS, hard to imagine that you'd be anything other than miserable by the end of the day.
Yeah, pretty much. Take yer time. What's yer hurry?

meh meh meh meh meh bahamas meh meh meh meh

:angry1:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I rode my 1k naked from Chicago to Houston in 2 days (1250 miles) after getting off, unloading my stuff and jumping into the hot tub, I ordered a Sargent seat, got a friend to make brackets to lower and move pegs forward 1" and bought a throttle lever (so that you hand can keep it open). Didn't ride for a week!!

The new setup is much more comfortable.

One of the other disadvantages to riding long distances uncomfortably is the fact that I ride way too fast to lessen the pain.

Stephen

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
So, I see your still upset with me. :'(

You can come!!! More the merrier!!!! :hug:
Well, you said it was a cruise. And being that most cruises (minues Speed2) take place on water, I'd have to sit this one out.

However the draw of scrupulous displays of mamarian artwork is tempting.* ;D

*translation: I like bewbies.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well, just think how much fun you will be having with all of the SV crowd at the Gap. I really would like to at least try to make it up there for a day.

Sorry to thread jack for a minute.
Back on track!

Riding a long time causes a sore bumm huh?! I hear those Corbin or Sargeant seats are the bomb diggity!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts