Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i have found wiring diagrams for the bike, but i cant find a pin out for the back of the cluster itself. its like 8 or 10 wires on that one plug.

The back lighting does not work and neither does the high beam and turn signal indicators. everything else, all the read outs in the cluster work.

Please Help SVRider! I cant see my gauges at night.

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
how many miles??

how old??

under warranty??

check any fuses??

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
In my Haynes manual (covering up to 0"8"), it states that the 1st Gen gauges can be tested and gives a procedure to test each light using the pinout diagram. For the Gen 2, it states that all the functions are integrated in the circuit board and looking at the electrical diagrams provided, all the individual signals seem to originate from the ECU.

I don't know if that helps, but I can scan that diagram so that you can at least test if there is voltage coming from those wires. Let me know if you need it and I can try to find some time to scan the diagram when I get home.

tk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Brian - you're in Baltimore?

I have an '05 - could plug your gauges into my harness and see if it lights up. Least you would know which end the problem is on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
check ground connection (black w/ white). i think mine did something similar, where some function worked while others didn't.
are you asking for function of each wire color? if so, i'll find my book and type them out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow cool, thanks for the responses guys. I didnt mess with the bike tonight but i might tomorrow...

Bambam, ill send you a PM as that would be awesome! i dont want to buy one and have that not be the issue, they aren't cheap! thanks!

Doormatt, yes, im looking for the pin out (wire color/ description for each pin) of the plug on the back of the cluster.

Thanks Tk, while its not the exact pin out, i should be able to figure it out with some tracing of the wire colors on there, assuming they'll match up.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Yeah, like I said earlier, the 1st gen has an exact pinout, but for the 2nd gen, the book says there is no pinout. Here is the text for 2003 + models:

K3 - on models
Note: The individual instruments and warning LEDsare integal with the instrument cluster circuit board - separate components are not available.

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Since none of these functions - back-light, each turn signal inidcator & the high beam light are related in any way on the power side, you should probably look to the return ('ground') side for the source of problem.
Check the black/white wire.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My gauge cluster blew out when the rear brake switch grounded out. It blew a 10 amp fuse under the seat (I forget which, but there are only 5 or so). The turn signals and other indicators worked even though the rest of the cluster didn't. I removed the rear brake switch (aftermarket rearsets didn't have spot for it) and replaced the fuse and it worked.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, big thanks to Bambam(Pete) for stopping by and taking the time to let me plug my cluster into his bike. Sure enough, it lit right up, so i had some wires to trace!

Also thanks as always to Ray for helping me figure this all out. We started by looking for a diagram withe the pin-out for the plug on the back of the cluster. well, thats tough to do. I ended up with this one...

http://bolty.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/sv650_color_wiring.jpg

I used that and matched up/ traced/ verified the wire colors and made my own pin-out for the plug. I figured id post it here as it might help someone else in the future...

***This was the plug on my bike, which could very well be different than yours as mine is a theft recovery bike and who knows why it had this problem***

...that would be the plug.

1. Red/ white -to fuse-10A-Fuel pump
2. Orange/ Green -to fuse-10A-Signals
3. Orange/ Red -Speed Sensor
4. Brown/ Black -to ECU
5. Red/ Black -Fuel Pump
6. Green/ Yellow -Oil press
7. Blank (on mine)
8. Blank (on mine)
9. Black/ Green -Fuel Pump
10. Yellow -High beam
11. Black -Left signal
12. Green - Right signal
13. Pink/ White -Speed sensor
14. Blk/ Green -ECU
15. Blue/ Black -Neutral switch
16. Black/ White -Ground

So after looking at the diagram in that link, and reading some posts from this forum i noticed the cluster should have 2 grounds. Well, we got the idea that we should try and add a ground to one of the missing pins, and sure enough... the cluster lit up. So i wedged a wire in the pin (8) and spliced it into the gorund pin(16) until i can ge the proper pin to repin it.

Why was my plug missing a ground? i have no idea. but maybe the pin out is different between years, maybe the cluster is from another bike? but the mileage seems accurate checking the condition of the bike and such.

So, atleast i got it working... even though it didnt make much sense as to why in the first place.... haha.

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Since none of these functions - back-light, each turn signal inidcator & the high beam light are related in any way on the power side, you should probably look to the return ('ground') side for the source of problem.
Check the black/white wire.
,,, Well, we got the idea that we should try and add a ground to one of the missing pins, and sure enough... the cluster lit up. So i wedged a wire in the pin (8) and spliced it into the gorund pin(16) until i can ge the proper pin to repin it.....
You heard it here first :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same issue with my 08. I have 04 gauges on my 08.

None of these functions work - back-light, each turn signal inidcator & the high beam light

So, if I take a wire and stick it into one of the open slots on the wiring harness plug of the gauges and then into the black/white ground all of this will work?

Do naked gauges have to go on naked sv's? I may have SVS and not standard gauges.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I have the same issue with my 08. I have 04 gauges on my 08.

None of these functions work - back-light, each turn signal inidcator & the high beam light

So, if I take a wire and stick it into one of the open slots on the wiring harness plug of the gauges and then into the black/white ground all of this will work?

Do naked gauges have to go on naked sv's? I may have SVS and not standard gauges.
The wiring diagram for the 03-04 shows different wires for the gauges. My guess is that you can get all the functions but the fuel light to work. Maybe someone with an 03-04 can give you the correct pin locations and you can switch them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts