Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 08 sv 650s I get on it turn the key pull the clutch hit the start button and nothing so I turn it off do the same thing and still nothing then I start over rock the bike and it starts is this normal or what can be causing it if not

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it’s in Neutral ain’t had a problem out of it besides now it sat for 3 weeks because I had two surgeries on my leg now it’s not starting right

·
Super Moderator
6,844 Posts
Sidestand up? Are you releasing and re-engaging the clutch lever? Could be a sticky clutch safety switch. Stock clutch lever?

Other thing that comes to mind would be a poor connection on the battery or a bad battery. You could check the terminals and confirm that you have full voltage (12.7V or more before cranking) just to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
8,536 Posts
As Jay said, if you get absolutely nothing, not even a really click, then check the clutch switch. Also, make sure the clutch switch plug is fully seated.

If the starter relay does click, then could be the starter motor (possibly worn brushes) as Kiwi suggested.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brand new battery double checked the voltage and connections after I rock it it cranks went down the road did fine came home it cranks back up like it suppose to idk it’s kind of crazy

·
Super Moderator
8,536 Posts
When the problem was happening did you hear a "click" when the starter button was pressed or was there no sound at all?

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
My cousin had a worn clutch lever. It was possible to pull the lever at a particular angle that did not depress the clutch switch. I would take a close look at what happens if you pull the lever and try to wiggle it up or down a bit.

·
Super Moderator
8,536 Posts
No sound at all
That means the problem is/was the clutch-switch or the clutch-switch plug. It could also be a flaky starter button but that is much less likely.

Try take a look under the clutch perch, check to see if the clutch-switch plug is firmly seated. If the plug is hanging only by a thin one, then good, you have found and confirmed the problem.

But if the clutch-switch plug is fine, then most likely the switch is bad, you might want to replace it preemptively. Until then, It would be a good idea to practice jumping the switch with a paperclip. That way if the clutch-switch acts up when you are in the middle of nowhere, you will still be able to start your bike.

Maybe tape a paperclip to the clutch cable to have it handy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Where can I find that plug at ?
It's underneath the clutch perch

No it’s in Neutral ain’t had a problem out of it besides now it sat for 3 weeks because I had two surgeries on my leg now it’s not starting right
If your trying to start it in neutral then I dont think the issue is the clutch safety cut out switch as that only applies if you are trying to start the bike in gear AFAIK. I'm wondering if you have a loose connection or a broken wire that makes contact when you rock the bike. Kill switch maybe? You've checked the side stand cut out eh?

·
Super Moderator
6,844 Posts
If your trying to start it in neutral then I dont think the issue is the clutch safety cut out switch as that only applies if you are trying to start the bike in gear AFAIK. I'm wondering if you have a loose connection or a broken wire that makes contact when you rock the bike. Kill switch maybe? You've checked the side stand cut out eh?
Not with the SV - clutch needs to be pulled in to start even in neutral.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I can confirm: on gen. 3 SVs you don't need to pull the clutch lever to start the engine.

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Super Moderator
8,536 Posts
Yea looked at those seems good
If the clutch plug is good then the switch or lever is suspect.

It is too bad because best would be to find an obvious cause of the problem (like a loose plug), that way you know the problem is fixed and will not bite you in the future.

Intermittent problems like this may go away for a while but guaranteed will come back, usually at the worst possible place/time. Like when you are out in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception, far from a tow truck.

As cheap insurance, I would recommend replacing the clutch switch and clutch lever, just to be sure.

Failing that, I would make sure to know how to bypass the clutch switch with a paperclip (just remove the plug and short the contacts) so if/when the problem returns you will still be able to start the bike.

Interesting, my Gen 3 you can start in neutral without clutch in. What gen is your bike?
Good to know, and is a smarter design! The SV gen1 and gen2 require the clutch even with the bike in neutral.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey I have a 08 sv 650s I get on it turn the key pull the clutch hit the start button and nothing so I turn it off do the same thing and still nothing then I start over rock the bike and it starts is this normal or what can be causing it if not
I experienced the same issue after installing a new battery but it was also throwing a F1 code. Has this also happened? Once the on board system adjusted to the new bat the problem went away. I'd be looking close at the elec connection's from the battery to the ignition, starter. Ect

1 - 20 of 31 Posts