Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I picked up my(new-to-me) '08 SV650N this morning and had a 60mi. drive home. I thought the speedo was a little optimistic and I'm used to about 5%-6% high, but when I checked the SV against a GPS My speedo is running 10% over actual speed, any ideas????

Also what is the normal coolant temperature(at 70mph.) shown on the instrument panel??? I was thinking 185°-190°. My gauge was showing 170° or so. Ambient air temp. was around 75° at freeway speeds.

Thanks of any info you can give a new owner.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
10% isn't unusual for motorcycles, and my SV with a 60 series front tire will be 10% off. With a 70 series, it will be 5% off.

The only fix I can think if is a Speedo Healer http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

As for temps, 170 does seem a little low for a 75 degree day. Could be your thermostat?

It could just be an unusual variance, see how it goes the next time you ride.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10% isn't unusual for motorcycles, and my SV with a 60 series front tire will be 10% off. With a 70 series, it will be 5% off.

The only fix I can think if is a Speedo Healer http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

As for temps, 170 does seem a little low for a 75 degree day. Could be your thermostat?

It could just be an unusual variance, see how it goes the next time you ride.
I have heard of the speed-o-healer, but never installed one. Oh, front tire is the correct one, a 60 series.

I too was thinking stuck thermostat, but I'm not going to get anxious to change it.
Having a temp gauge with actual numbers on it is quite a novelty to me. I'm used to bars or lines, anything but numbers!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I did a very detailed speedo vs gps a few weeks ago.

I think we can all agree the speedometer is not based on random numbers, but programed to be off.

This is my findings: Always subtract the left number from the total.

57-5=52 65-6=59 78-7=71

I found this to be true through out all speed ranges.

2006 SVN.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mine is right on the numbers.

I had never given any thought to the process, but it makes perfect sense now.

I am sure if you change to a larger front tire there will be a same number system to get the true speed.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My '08 runs at around 168 or 169 on the highway in the summer, and when its cooler it will run at 164-5.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Also what is the normal coolant temperature(at 70mph.) shown on the instrument panel??? I was thinking 185°-190°. My gauge was showing 170° or so. Ambient air temp. was around 75° at freeway speeds.
170° is normal on a cool day. Mine runs in that range when ambient is anywhere from 35-80°F. On much hotter days it will run a bit higher.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all!
I'll go with the temp. shown is pretty normal. But I'm going to do something with the +10% speedo error in the future.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Get the speedoDRD. It is smaller, costs less, and appears to be more waterproof than the speedo healer.

BTW, I've determined my speedometer to be off by 8.5%. It took a little bit of playing around with my speedoDRD to figure out the error exactly. I started with 10% (rough estimate), then 9%, then 8.5%. It's finally in sync with my GPS now.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Yeah, I'm a cheapskate. I just do the math in my head and go from there.

TrashCan is pretty much spot-on for those guesstimates. Just knock 10% off the displayed number for a fairly accurate speed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts