Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the deal. I have a chane to buy a fully faired sv1000s. It has a undertail, integrate tail, -1 +2 sprocket, frame sliders, home made TRE, stock muffs are drilled, all for 4300. Is this really a deal?

Take a look,

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m208/Lawbrkr/SV1000/

What do you think?

·
Registered
443 Posts
how is that not a deal. Thats gorgeous. I love the color it is the same as mine and I'd love to see how a 1000 feels. Seems like I never see these in blue with the full fairings. I'd buy that!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would take that in a heart beat. Hard to find blue with full fairings let alone a 1000. Mine is a 07 sv650 and I brought it a year and a half ago for 3600 pre tax and it had 9000 miles on it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Agreed that finding a Blue with full fairings in that cherry con dition is going to be hard to find. The guy even zooms in on the very minimal knicks it has which is like 3 all together! And he zoomed in on the fork area and it looks pretty dman clean. Were this available at the exact time I bought my 05 SV650s I would have flown to AZ and bought that **** then rode it back. You may never find a cleaner 1000

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did ride it and it was pretty good. The clutch seems like it engaged a little late, but that may be the lever. It also vibrates a lot more than my 650.

I do not remember my 04 vibrating that much, but it's been years since I have been on a 1000 too.

·
Registered
180 Posts
That is one clean SV 1K. The only thing I don't like about it is the year. The older ones actually had better cartridges in the forks that could be rebuilt etc. to improve handling. The newer ones are pretty much disposable. But I wouldn't let that stop me, there's always a way to fix it right.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the exact same bike without the full faring, add Yosh 2 into 1 carbon, PC-iii, with 14k miles, and I paid $4,800

so yea that looks like a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
1000s vibrate a ****ton more than 650, same with mine(1000) and my brothers(650). My clutch also engages way late, probably a combination of worn clutch and super weak clutch springs designed to be supplemented by the useless back torque limiter.

I shimmed the clutch basket which helped a lot, I will switch to DL clutch hub to increase clutch springs and get rid of the BTL.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I guess I misunderstood him. The price is actually 4800. Still not bad, I think. I am going to ride it more tonight before buying it. We will see after this.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Thats a pretty good deal there. Come with cash(if you can) and try and talk him down to 4300, or 4500. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
4800 still isn't bad, if it is in as "mint" condition as you describe. I bought 2 SV1000S last year for 4995 new 0 mile left over and 4900 for 749 miles with Yoshi RS3 and remote alarm, both 07, bikini and blue. There are deals to be had and I for one would probably fly out and ride it back if I hadn't already taken 4 vacations since May and have 2 more planned in the next two months. Vibrations, yeah, they will happen on the 1K, but don't let that discourage you, owners get a massage with every ride.....lol Yoshi RS3, mom says that they vibrate the walls and her bed, waking her in the mornings. Fork cartridge, don't worry about them yet, do a fork oil change and adjust your preload, rebound and compress. Tires, definitely the PR3s. -1front and +2 rear, = wheelie w-hore. +1 front and 1/4 throttle tube has no problem bringing it up without dumping it. I would probably let mine go for..................not one reason to. :D

Sent from my right shoe phone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up buying the bike. I just do not know if I am going to keep it. I bought it thinking that I was going to sell the 650, but I love that bike. I have a lot of time and money into it and do not think I could part with it. I am going to go through the bike and make sure everything is as it should be. Things like oil change and filters, clutch fluid change, check the brakes, so on and so forth. Please keep an eye out as this may be in the for sale section soon.

Maybe.

Most of you are probably thinking, WTF, you just bought the bike. It was one of those things that sounded great until I got home with it. The thought of selling my 650 for it started to sound like a bad idea. A little late now though.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Your committed to the 1K now, so man up! :p

Sent from my right shoe phone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't sell the SV1... It's going to be hard part with the 650 but it will be worth it. I bet the bike would be a lot more enjoyable with 17-40 sprockets. I can't imagine the ratio that bike is running. First gear has to be worthless...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Talking about gearing....A 650N has 15/45 gear set, and overall, this has been perfect. Even loaded down, it handles a lot.

On the SV1K, it has a stock 17/40 gear. The PO changes that to a 16/42 gear. To me, 6th gear is still pointless unless I am doing 80-85. I love the range of the 15/45. So a couple of questions:

1. Is the counter shaft of a 650 and 1000 the same size...meaning, can I run a 650 front sprocket on a 1000?

2. Is anyone using a 15/45 on their 1K?

If I drop to a 15/42, that may be a little better all around. Let me know what you guys think.

And dont worry. I will probably keep both bikes. My wife may shoot me, as I have too many cars right now. But we will see. Thanks for the help,

·
Registered
71 Posts
The gain over your current setup with the 15/45 would be a 6% increase in final drive gear ratio, and a total increase of 18% vs stock.

I can guarantee one thing, you won't need to replace your front tire anytime soon....

P.S. I am pretty sure the counter shaft on the SV1 is larger than the 650.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I'm running 18/40 and the motor pulls it just fine. You have a LOT more torque on tap with the bigger motor so you don't need to spin it so hard. Cruising 70 showing just a bit over 4000. If you want more revs, just downshift.:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts