Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 naked and plan to do a shock swap. I was leaning towards the 06 zx10 because I heard there is no need for cutting anything. I just read some other post that the 06 zx10 shock is a direct bolt on, on non ABS sv's. If it is not direct bolt in, what modifications will be needed to get it to fit, also if I were to use an 04+ gsxr 1000 shock, what will I have to do?

·
Registered
140 Posts
good luck with an ABS bike. Look at external resevoir options from penske and elka.

It sucks, I'm in the same boat.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess no one has some kind of workaround, perhaps moving the ABS unit over a bit? I think I will see if I can figure something out. If I do find a solution, there will for sure be a write up.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
at the moment I dont, I will take a look on my sv when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I guess no one has some kind of workaround, perhaps moving the ABS unit over a bit? I think I will see if I can figure something out. If I do find a solution, there will for sure be a write up.
This is were I'm at. I got my shock, 05 ZX-10. I'm going to wait until the fall to do the swap. It will work, it just depends on what you're willing to do. I think moving the controller to the rear and lowering a little. I plan on reworking the metal brake lines that attach to the controller in order to make this work. Do it. then thumb your nose at those that say it can't be done;D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is were I'm at. I got my shock, 05 ZX-10. I'm going to wait until the fall to do the swap. It will work, it just depends on what you're willing to do. I think moving the controller to the rear and lowering a little. I plan on reworking the metal brake lines that attach to the controller in order to make this work. Do it. then thumb your nose at those that say it can't be done;D
haha I couldn't have said it better. Hopefully this weekend I will do a thorough investigation on the ABS hydraulic motor area of the sv. I will take also a bunch of pics and see what I can figure out.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Were there any attempts by sv650ABS naked or S havers ? cause today After riding home from work I got off and decided to check properly. Since my toolbox is under the passenger seat, the battery is pushed more back. So that way a gsxr shock with reservoir 45 degres up seems to fit perfectly. The zx10 shock seems like it wouldnt fit. I based my calculations on other pics on this forum. Would anyone be able to supply me dimensions or the gsxr shock please ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Were there any attempts by sv650ABS naked or S havers ? cause today After riding home from work I got off and decided to check properly. Since my toolbox is under the passenger seat, the battery is pushed more back. So that way a gsxr shock with reservoir 45 degres up seems to fit perfectly. The zx10 shock seems like it wouldnt fit. I based my calculations on other pics on this forum. Would anyone be able to supply me dimensions or the gsxr shock please ?
I don't have any info on the GSXR shock but here's the specks on the zx-10 I have. 13.25" (336.55mm) E2E. 3.5" (88.9mm) center of upper bolt to the back of the oil reservoir. The reservoir is angled up at about 25 degrees. Hopefully this info will help someone someday when everyone else starts yelling use the search feature:nana:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just discovered that possibly the break lines runing to the ABS unit might be in the way, but thats about it, Re-routing break lines shouldn't be to much of a problem ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
You just need a tubing bender and a tool for flaring the ends of the tubing. You can pick these up at your local auto parts store, as well as the tubing you'll need. If you aren't mechanically inclined, although it seems you are, strip the bike down to make the controller accessible. Then trailer it to a brake shop. They'll be able to make the connections for you and bleed the brakes as well.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You just need a tubing bender and a tool for flaring the ends of the tubing. You can pick these up at your local auto parts store, as well as the tubing you'll need. If you aren't mechanically inclined, although it seems you are, strip the bike down to make the controller accessible. Then trailer it to a brake shop. They'll be able to make the connections for you and bleed the brakes as well.
I just needed that confirmation, thanks. I've done my fair share of auto mechanics including 3 engine swaps and auto to manual conversion. But when it comes down to my SV, I need to ask a lot of question before attempting anything cause I never did any work on a bike. So it seems that project gsxr1000 shock swap onto 08naked abs will begin sometime in the next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm all for giving it the college try, but this seems like a project where the end result is going to be " Yeah i did it but it would have been cheaper & easier to just buy an aftermarket unit." Theres going to be a hell of a lot of work in relocating the abs controller, there are at least 4 steel line, plus the wiring for the pump and such, and its not small. Moving it back means interfering with suspension travel. Theres no room to move it forward.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
99 Posts
No, moving it back increases the space allotted for travel. The controller moves up the rear bracing. Not to mention the fact that the further you get from the center point of the swing arm the more clearance for travel you have. The two combined increase the amount of space. Any idea how many feet of tubing you can buy before you approach the cost of a new shock?;D I don't have the numbers off hand but I payed $70 shipped for the shock I have. I think I have some room to play money wise.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
No, moving it back increases the space allotted for travel. The controller moves up the rear bracing. Not to mention the fact that the further you get from the center point of the swing arm the more clearance for travel you have. The two combined increase the amount of space. Any idea how many feet of tubing you can buy before you approach the cost of a new shock?;D I don't have the numbers off hand but I payed $70 shipped for the shock I have. I think I have some room to play money wise.
All that work for a shock that is a little bit better than the stock shock. I think that you are better off with a aftermarket shock and keeping the brake lines and ABS unit like stock.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All that work for a shock that is a little bit better than the stock shock. I think that you are better off with a aftermarket shock and keeping the brake lines and ABS unit like stock.
I read how the gsxr shocks are quite better then the stock shock. In fact I keep reading how its worth the swap. Turns out the line I felt was not a brake line but a handle of sorts for the ABS tray. I can probably get away with grinding and re-welding elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I don't know if your bike is still under warranty, but what happens during all this when your ABS unit stops working? You better believe the dealer won't cover it under warranty. An ABS unit is like $1300.

My ABS went dead suddenly. I have all sorts of goodies installed on my 08 Naked (Elka 2 way remote res, Buell headlights w/ HID, clip ons, GiPro, rear and front light modulators, etc... Can you imagine my surprise when one day the ABS light didn't go off?

Luckily, I never touched the ABS, and they covered it undar warranty (took a whole month). They replaced the ABS unit and I'm so glad I didn't have to pay for it (and I was prepared to pay for it too, due to all my mods).

Get yourself a used aftermarket shock. There are a couple in the for sale section.

tk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts