Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to start my bike today and couldn't get it to fully turn over.

Was working fine last night when I parked it, and I could tell someone messed with it a bit over night (not uncommon where I live), adjusting the mirrors and so forth. Not a huge deal, but could be related.

So I went to start it. FI primes, 1st gear with the clutch in, starter motor turns, but no complete cranks. The bike gave a good lurch forward too, which it normally does, but no where near this strong.

Ok I figure, drop the bike into neutral, clutch in, FI primes, hit the starter and I'm still not getting any complete rotations, though the battery seems kind of weak at this point. Starter is still turning, but sounds weak.

I called a friend who helped me try and bump start it, but as soon as I drop it into gear it the rear wheel basically just locks up. Maybe get 1/8 of a rotations before it skidded.

So with the clutch lever in all the way in it appears that the clutch is not fully disengaged. With the lever pulled in all the way it was still quite hard to get the bike rolling around. With the bike in neutral it rolled no problem.

With the bike in first gear we could push the bike, but it took both of us to do it. Also the bike did lurch forward when the starter was applied. So I'm still hopefull the it isn't seized.

Today was the coldest day I've tried to run the bike so that may be a factor as well.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Adjust the clutch at the engine side of the cable and then adjust the freeplay at the lever and see if the problem goes away. Charge the battery as well.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Sounds like you tried to put it into 1st gear to push start. First gear is too low for the rear weight/contact patch to start easily. Try 2nd or 3rd gear.

I agree, adjust the clutch first. If you can get it rolling and start it that way, maybe the battery will charge and be OK. If you end up with it too weak to crank after a ride long enough to charge it, you probably need a new battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I got it running once I got it in a garage and charged up my battery.

Adjusting my clutch will be the first thing I do tomorrow. I'm also starting to suspect my battery may be on its way out. No hard feelings its given 6 years of service.

Still felt like there was quite a bit of drive train drag with the clutch lever pulled in all the way. In neutral the bike rolls with ease. Took quite a bit of force to roll it with the clutch lever pulled all the way in. Am I right to think this is a symptom of a misaligned clutch?

·
Registered
214 Posts
This may sound odd but I couldnt get mine to start for like 2 minutes if it says check on the display it most likely was your kill switch was pushed.

Happened to me,lol then again I only owned my sv 4 days.
Had similar senario

1 - 5 of 5 Posts