Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the tech section with no chatter so I'm trying it here.

Hey all,

I've only had this bike a month or so. Bike fouled a stock set of plugs today. Cruising along at 55mph the engine just started breaking up popping missing bucking back and forth etc. The only mods to the bike are a Leo Vince slip on. I've pulled the codes and it had none. I couldn't get a new set of plugs so I just wire brushed the black nasty off of the old ones and put them back in. It still breaks up and misses but instead of doing it all the time it only does it at around 6k rpm and up.

What causes a FI bike with 3500 miles on it to foul plugs? I've checked the air filter, the exhaust isn't plugged. Are Denso plugs know for being junk? Going to get some NGK's in an hour.

Thanks for the help.

Novafrk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very. This is the third tank I've put through it.

I actually think it's the battery, one side was swollen and had lifted the top. There was no electrolyte in the battery at all. I had the bike idling and was moving wires around... when I tweaked the ground wire the bike died. And would hardly start after that.

So my first guess is the battery was causing issues... How I don't know. Some people on the sv650.org site had similar issues and a faulty battery was the culpret. I'll know for sure in the next hour after I install the battery.

Thanks.

Novafrk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, bad battery. She is all happy now. I didn't even have to put plugs in it. Although I will replace them tomorrow night, just because.

I have a quick question, how often do you put your bike on the battery tender? I wouldn't think it would need it every day, but I haven't heard/read how often.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts