Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of help.
So this is my second bike, though I'm not mechanically inclined I'm a quick learner and I'd love to learn.
My bike which has never had a problem won't start now its been about two months since I've had it running (broke my ankle).
I purchased a trickle charger and tried that because by the sounds of me trying to start it up that seemed to be the problem.
Then purchased a battery reader and it says its around 75% charged...
I'm told it could possibly be the fuel injectors and or the fact the tank has been half full since I havnt run the bike
Should I haul it to a mechanic or does anyone have any advice ?? Please and thank you

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
When you say won't start, what exactly do you mean? Was it cranking slower than normal so you thought the battery was low? You didn't have the battery hooked to a charger during those two months, so the battery could certainly be low in charge and starting to sulfate as well. The battery needs to be fully charged. If the battery won't come up to 100%, you may have an issue with it. Do you have a multimeter to measure the voltage at the battery terminals? A charged good battery should read between 12.5-13VDC. When you turn on the ignition before hitting the start button, do you hear the fuel pump pressure regulator priming? I would drain the tank if possible, replace with fresh gas and add some Seafoam or other cleaner. But, the battery has to be fully charged and able to hold a charge to function properly. I wouldn't haul to a mechanic just yet. I doubt the injectors are clogged after just 2 months sitting.

This just might be water in the gas from sitting with a 1/2 full tank and a weak battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've only had the trickle charger for a week or so, and when I flick the key In the ignition I hear that turnover sound as usual, but when I try to start the engine it barely even revs, it sounds like its about to start then just stops after one short rev. Will try a new battery ti

·
Super Moderator
7,091 Posts
Sounds like the battery is either not fully charged or not holding a charge.

How long did you leave the charger on it? If the battery is good, but down on charge, a 10-hour trickle should be plenty to wake it up. If after that, if it doesn't read 12-13V you most likely need to replace it. Even if it does read proper voltage while sitting, it's still possible it can be bad. Checking voltage while cranking will tell you. If it reads good while sitting, but drops below 10 or 11V while cranking, the battery needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've only had the trickle charger for a week or so, and when I flick the key In the ignition I hear that turnover sound as usual, but when I try to start the engine it barely even revs, it sounds like its about to start then just stops after one short rev. Will try a new battery ti

Mine has done this on occasion, but I just crack the throttle a little while cranking and it starts right up. No other ideas without being able to touch the bike with test equipment.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It sound's like a battery issue.

Just because a battery will take a charge does not mean it will hold a charge. I have seen numerous amounts of batteries come into my store that can sit on a charger for a week, show that it has a full charge and within 5 minutes of being off the charger, it is dead. How old is the battery? A DECENT battery that is put in a bike that is ridden on a daily basis, like a YUASA battery, typically last around 5 years before they start failing. The lower end batteries usually only last a year or two before needing to be replaced.

The worst thing you can do to a lead acid battery is to let it sit for several months on end without being hooked up to a charger. Once it his rock bottom, they almost never come back up the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts