Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SV1000S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner to my SV1000 so I thought I'd pull her apart a bit and see what gremlins are lying underneath. I've got as far as the flywheel and found the magnets in somewhat of a bad shape.

I was hoping to see what the general consensus is here about whether I JB Weld them back in and run her or if I should try and sort something else out.

My initial thoughts are I don't have anything readily available so I might as well JB Weld what I do have remaining and check how the charge voltage behaves over the next little while?

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts on this.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Camera lens Cameras & optics Circle Lens

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Gear

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive design

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
bummer dude, when mine did thie the first time... i glued them back in, checked it 3000 miles later at oil change time and they were crumbled.. then i bought a new oem flywheel and replaced it. gonna check it again this winter as now i need some clutch work.. its endless with this bike...... good luck with yours!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Adam,
Unfortunately im in the same boat here in Brisbane. 2 magnets are smashed so my bike has been out of action for the last 3 months.
Im not having much luck with any used flywheels or just magnets as they get picked up from wreckers pretty quick and ebay are rare and expensive.
Suzuki AU has one in the country but it will set you back $600, which imo is extortion for a known fault with the model and they still havent recticifed the issue with the new part.

·
Registered
2006 SV1000S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Adam,
Unfortunately im in the same boat here in Brisbane. 2 magnets are smashed so my bike has been out of action for the last 3 months.
Im not having much luck with any used flywheels or just magnets as they get picked up from wreckers pretty quick and ebay are rare and expensive.
Suzuki AU has one in the country but it will set you back $600, which imo is extortion for a known fault with the model and they still havent recticifed the issue with the new part.
I've just bit the bullet and ordered a new flywheel. This bike was meant to be my primary mode of transport (wife has the car) and need it running. I'll most likely have a couple magnets (3x 100% & 1x 95%) up for sale in the near future.

Mine was a tad more than that from a local dealer, but was the cheapest I could get calling around. Don't want to know what it could of been.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ah nice, I rarely ride the bike so I wasnt in a rush to get it fixed.
If you havent already then you will still need to epoxy the gaps so the magnets dont come loose again.

I would definately interested in getting the 100% magnets off you when you sell them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just recently picked up a 2003 SV1000 (N) from a buddy and am wondering if I need to check this. Are there any symptoms to be aware of if this is an issue on my bike? Do you have a guide you followed to check on this? I'll check out YouTube.

·
very big dumb
10,573 Posts
I just recently picked up a 2003 SV1000 (N) from a buddy and am wondering if I need to check this.
yes
Are there any symptoms to be aware of if this is an issue on my bike?
sv1000: exists
(this has happened to all years of sv1k and some vstrom and has happened as low as 3k miles)

Do you have a guide you followed to check on this? I'll check out YouTube.
there are a bunch but kev's shed did a decent job showing it.

you basically just open it up and put jbweld between the magnets so the have nowhere to move

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes

sv1000: exists
(this has happened to all years of sv1k and some vstrom and has happened as low as 3k miles)

there are a bunch but kev's shed did a decent job showing it.

you basically just open it up and put jbweld between the magnets so the have nowhere to move
Will have to get to it! I just watched his video and another and it doesn't look too difficult to tackle. I'll have to open it up this weekend and check it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts